Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 7th, 2011 08:00

Forget R1 users ?

Hello !

I was really disapointed to see that you made new optimus drivers for M11X R2 and R3 users with 285.62 drivers , but how about us , M11X R1 users ?

I'd be SO glad to have real switchable graphics with my M11X without having to get them from Nvidia website , and setting bios in Discrete mode , and lost the IGPU , the reason i bought that laptop ...

Can you , please , update the drivers for M11X R1 users ? At least , can you say if thoses drivers are being develop and will apear in a near future ?

The whole M11X R1 community would thank you to do so.

Thank you in advance

11 Posts

January 5th, 2012 04:00

As far as i can remember the option to switch to discrete mode from the bios has always been there(or for the past 1.5years atleast). That was before the last update for the graphics card came out from dell.

I guess an M11x can no longer be known for portable gaming anymore as it'l have to be constantly plugged in coz of the poor battery life due to constant discrete graphics.

1 Message

January 9th, 2012 13:00

Hi there,

I have to say this is very, very disappointing. I like my m11x r1 even if it is not the top-of-the-line subnotebook anymore. it is reliable, tough and - for my use - fast enough (I added a SSD). BUT (there always is one, you might guess): I DON'T LIKE HOW I AM TREATED BY DELL. I spent a lot of money (for my thinking) on that laptop and I think there are many more like me. Please, contact nvidia and tweak the actual driver so that we can use our laptops with full power. Battlefield 3 is so much smoother with newer drivers but I don't accept to renounce the usage of hybrid graphics.

I hope you get your work done and give us some good stuff.

Otherwise make me an offer! I buy an m14x if you take my old m11x. But - unfortunately - I guess you won't do that, because you are like all the other companies. Make money, not offers. Perhaps you surprise me. I'd like that.

2 Posts

January 20th, 2012 23:00

I have to add that we REALLY need a driver update, seems it's impossible to use the newer drivers in discrete mode too. My M11x nearly burnt out a couple of days ago. It consistently locks up when resuming from standby with everything pegged at full power. I put my laptop in my bag and took it to work, when I went to get it out, it had locked up when it woke to place itself into hibernation and stayed like that, it was too hot to hold!

All in all I am extremely dissapointed in both my laptop and Dell, no drivers for a year is just the start. Didn't meet advertised overclock speeds, didn't meet advertised RAM speed, locked PLL's, broken LED's, all the rubbers came off the base and palm rest, broken LED's and four new screens in a year! Eventually I gave up on Dell actually fixing anything, bought a base and palmrest off ebay and stripped my screen down and put the screws back in with LOCTITE....

2 Posts

January 21st, 2012 00:00

Oops Put broken LED's twice, oh well, must be annoying enought to write twice....

67 Posts

January 22nd, 2012 15:00

never buy another alienware again originpcs are looking much much better and they were the original alienware people

February 10th, 2012 14:00

DELL IS WRONG everywhere by not providing driver support it transforms a premium laptop to a do-not-buy one, but I already bought this so please make one more tweak to the bios - VIDEO MODE: Integrated / Discrete / Switchable.

If you do not provide updated driver, we can install nvidia latest drivers by using the Discrete mode HOWEVER when switch to switchable graphics BOTH graphics are running and the battery drains !

I would keep to Graphics: Discrete and Overclock: Enabled when in-door and pluged-in AND Graphics: Integrated and Overclock: Disable while I am traveling so my battery last much longer.

SO Dell please release a BIOS Update for this Integrated / Discrete situation I described, some fix for the Nvidia HDA sleep/wake issue [when sleep-wake the High Definition Audio Controller resets and the driver for it loads again - PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0BE4 ] and some fixes to the sleep problems as well because sometimes it freezes when wakes up

PS: after more inspections made, I've discovered the NVIDIA HDA problem, why it's reinstalling after restart/sleep/wake/restart:

restart/ cold boot: High Definition Audio Controller: VEN_10DE&DEV_0BE4&SUBSYS_04431028&REV_A1  [this is the correct subsys]

with  sleep/ wake: High Definition Audio Controller: VEN_10DE&DEV_0BE4&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_A1  [something is wrong with the bios]

2 Posts

February 23rd, 2012 08:00

Up!!!

Please Dell!

6 Posts

February 27th, 2012 16:00

So disappointed with Dell. I mean if your gonna make the "Best" portable laptop. Make it the "Best". Don't just stop supporting the m11x r1 (except the r1 hinge  issue, but that's your fault). I mean, everyone with the m11x r2-r3 are having a blast playing bf3,skyrim, mass effect 3, and SWTOR, while US R1 users have been waiting for an update on our nvidia gt 335m card which never came out. Well... the new update for it came out which is 295.73, but it doesn't support our R1 obviously.

Please do something with our R1's Dell. Your products are great, but a little overpriced, and yet we still buy them cause they're good and all, but the past months the R1 hasn't been good to us. So please Dell, do something about the R1.

6 Posts

February 27th, 2012 17:00

Isn't the 295.73 same thing with the Verde 295.73?lol I downloaded it and installed it but I had to go to BIOS and put the switchable mode onto discrete. I could no longer have 8 hours. unless I reboot the laptop again and go to Bios and enable the the switchable but that's too much hassle. It also states this.

"1.Notebooks supporting Hybrid Power technology with Intel chipsets are not supported by this release."

:/

1.2K Posts

February 27th, 2012 17:00

www.geforce.com/.../41704

well Nvidia  has updated drivers for 300M series video but if i remeber correctly it requires a bios update to allow the onboard to be switched or disabled in bios OR as some will say leave descrete video enabled and not switchable

it is 295.73 released on the 21st .... you can try it or try the Verde drivrs listed  under it  works fine on  for me on an used R1 i pickedup for 200 bucks ...... hinges are busted its beat up .. but meh it runs lol

6 Posts

February 27th, 2012 18:00

Ohhh that's what I've been doing to switch to integrated :/ I thought it was something different that you had in mind lol

1.2K Posts

well  battery life is irrelevent to me since always on power even my M17X was always on power i dont buy a gaming laptop for battery life :O  and yea i didnt pay attention when i installed i just installed and it worked fine  thats all i cared about  for a 200.00 busted laptop ..lol  just in process of getting it setup as a htpc so honestly didnt care much for looks or care to get it fixed aslong as it runs its not gonna be visible ..lol  

1.2K Posts

well it requires a reboot to switch ... but i never use onboard useless card nor did i ever on my m17x ...

6 Posts

Ohhhh... lol I just want dell to upgrade the Bios and everything else for R1 and How did it work on your laptop? Are you able to switch to integrated to 335m? Sorry for the questions just really curious on how you got yours to work even though mine is working, but unable to switch to integrated o.O Lol

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

just in process of getting it setup as a htpc

If you get tired of the constraints of 7MC, and you don't need Live-TV capability ... checkout XBMC.

Win-7, XBMC, and DXVA2 enabled ... pretty nice.

No Events found!