Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

February 12th, 2015 08:00

HDD temp sensor reading 127c (despite it not being that hot!), Fan turning itself up to 100% despite being linked to sensor that doesn't change temp.

Turned PC on this morning, visited some websites had a quick go on a game without any problems.  As i was turning it off i noticed that the restart said "Update and Restart" so selected that (I've done many times before).  After a restart everything seemed ok so i shut down.

Got back from work and turned PC on only to have the PCI fan running at 100% instead of the 10% it normally runs at.  I checked the Thermal setting and the Front ambient sensor was reading 19C which the PCI fan is linked to. 

I then noticed the HDD sensor reading as 127C!

So i shut down, unplugged it from the power and took the cover off.  The HDD is defiantly not 127C (unless i have evolved asbestos fingers!) but the senor reads a steady 127C all the time.

When I flick the Thermal control from Manual to Auto then back to Manual the PCI fan returns to 10% but after 5 minutes it ramps up to 100%.

I'm stumped as the HDD is not that hot the the PCI running speed is linked to the Front ambient senor which doesn't get above 19C but that doesn't stop the fan from turning up to 100% running speed by itself.

It's an Alienware Area 51 and i've only had it for about 3 weeks.

I'm thinking this might have something to do with the update that i applied this morning.  Any thoughts or help on how i resolve this?

671 Posts

February 12th, 2015 15:00

What BIOS version are you running on?
Also, I suggest you try an re-install the Alien Command Center.

You did well having it on Manual Mode. (Personally, I think it's best having it that way, it won't hurt the computer).

Let me know how it goes.

23 Posts

February 12th, 2015 23:00

Did you also get Dell updates? The new updates Dell installed a couple days ago have been wreaking havoc on lots of machines. Check the system history in your PC Checkup or SupportAssist. If you see anything called DellDataVault and DellDataVaultWiz disable them in your System Configuration under the Start Up tab. They made the right side fan on my M17x r4 run like jet engine constantly until I got rid of them. It could be effecting your computer too, the symptoms sound similar.

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

February 13th, 2015 12:00

I thought it might be update related so i did remove the Dell Agent and that stopped the fan from running at 4,000rpm.  So that's one problem sorted thanks!

However the HDD senor is still showing at a constant 127c.  I know it's wrong as the Hard drive is not that hot and last night i turned it off and unplugged it from the mains.  When i turned the PC on 7 hours later the HDD still read 127c but everything else was about 3/4 C lower than usual and took a while to heat up.

I've updated command center and that hasn't made a difference.  BIOS version is A01.

671 Posts

February 17th, 2015 08:00

That temperature seems fine to me.
I've seen computers that reach the 200C mark.

Naturally it's just the internal sensor (the spinning unit within the hard drive)
There should be just a little opening within the hard drive where all that heat escapes.

So nothing to worry about.

109 Posts

February 17th, 2015 11:00

Try SmartFan 4.50 and check the SMART records, possibly corrupt. A lot of HDD's use SMART to report the temperatures to the MB. Could be damaged or improperly monitored.

No Events found!