Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 13th, 2015 12:00

Has Anyone Gotten Alien Respawn to Work After Upgrading to Windows 10?

I successfully updated my x51 R2 machine to Windows 10.  But Alien Respawn did not appear to be a program that "made it over" during the installation.

Once I realized that, I downloaded the latest version of Alien Respawn I could find (1.7.5.64-exe).  It seems to install correctly, but once you try to run it (after the reboot), it kicks back with an error mid-way through and that's the end of that.

My guess is that it is simply not compatible with Windows 10.

Has anyone else been able to use it to back up files after upgrading to Windows 10?

12 Posts

September 14th, 2015 09:00

I never get that far.

I install AlienRespawn.  It reaches a point where it says "restart" machine.  I do so.

It then comes up and says that it is "preparing" for backup.  It starts doing something with the disk and then it simply says:

"Error"

And then it uninstalls AlienRespawn.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

September 14th, 2015 09:00

Hi, 

Several users have been able to use Alien Respawn in Windows 10 successfully. How exactly are you trying to back up your files? Can you provide the error message that you receive?

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

September 16th, 2015 14:00

Have you tried using the Alien Respawn version provided on this article?

12 Posts

September 16th, 2015 14:00

I have not.  First time I've seen that version - and I performed a fairly diligent search to try and locate the most recent version!

I will give this one a try and respond here whether or not it works for me.  Thx.

12 Posts

September 16th, 2015 18:00

Okay.  It did the same thing that it did before.  But this time I watched the steps more closely.  First, it seemed to install fine.  Then it showed me:

Preparing Recovery Environment - Done

Creating the Base Image --

Preparing Hard Disk – Progress

Updating System –

When the Preparing Hard Disk progress gets to about 25% it stops and then says "Error"

And then at the top of the box I see:

(This operation was cancelled by the user)
AlienRespawn will now be uninstalled.

But it wasn't "cancelled by the user"!  So that is what it is doing - even with this newer version.  Any other ideas?

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

September 17th, 2015 12:00

Hi, 

Are you sure its uninstalling the entire Alien Respawn software? It appears like its trying to create the recovery partition. Perhaps, you already have a recovery partition in your Hard Drive and its creating a conflict with the program. 

12 Posts

September 17th, 2015 13:00

There might well be a partition, because I had AlienRespawn before I upgraded to Windows 10.  But if that is the case, how do I deal with it?

My computer skills are "medium" - I also had the Windows 10 "partition issue" that ended up being something that only a Windows tech with a special tool could solve - so hearing that it might be a partition issue does not give me the warm and fuzzies, lol.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

September 18th, 2015 11:00

Hi

Alien Respawn creates a recovery partition in your Hard Drive when you install it on the computer. If you did an update to Windows 10, the recovery partition should still be there and there is no need to have Alien Respawn create another one. However, it is odd that it uninstalls the entire program, are you sure it deletes Alien Respawn from the system? 

12 Posts

September 19th, 2015 09:00

When I go to my Programs/Uninstall folder, AlienRespawn is not on the list, so I have presumed it has completely uninstalled it.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

September 21st, 2015 13:00

Thanks for confirming this. It appears like the Alien Respawn program is crashing when you are trying to install it or something else could be conflicting with it. In this case, it may be best to do a clean installation of Windows first, once you finish installing all of the system drivers and applications, install Alien Respawn.

12 Posts

October 23rd, 2015 03:00

Hi, i too am having a similar issue, i have a new alienware 15 r2 laptop and installed alienrespawn. it installs then asks for a reboot, i reboot the laptop and then kick off alien respawn again then it says that the "dell back and recovery has stopped working" and never starts.

not sure what to do...

it initially worked and when i started it up again a few days ago, it said that there was an update available, since i updated it, it has never worked again.

i am running windows 10 too.

49 Posts

November 25th, 2015 02:00

Alien Respawn is broken and doesn't work properly with Windows 10. It needs to be fixed or removed! I too have had it uninstall itself while creating the 1st backup. Even worse, it created a 2nd restore partition on my hard-drive and now I can't do a system restore at all. I cloned the hard-drive and then deleted each recovery partition 1 at a time and then attempted a restore to see which one is good but neither works. Based on what I've read on various forums while researching this issue I'd suggest that anyone considering Alien Respawn skip it. Windows can actually make a backup image of your system and it works 100% of time. Alienware sent me a recovery USB but all it is is the OS. There are no Alienware specific drivers, programs installed which is quite pointless. If I wanted a clean install of Windows I could have just downloaded Windows and used the media creation tool to reinstall it!

December 12th, 2015 12:00

It is true as I found out the hard way. After two case number and techs dancing around the situation it was FINALLY divulged that Alienrespawn is incompatible with windows 10. It is said the repair may or may not happen and I was inferred to Dells Software department for an extra fee of course to go any further with the discussion. Though the system backs up as it should but in my case I keep getting a large popup right bottom of screen that “Alienrespawn needs to update my profile and backup” even though it is fully backed up on a schedule. On the popup there is a radio button to “not show this again” but it’s still pops up at booting and at various time during usage. After several very trying tech support calls finally they admitted that Alienrespawn backup software is NOT FULLY COMPATIBLE with windows 10 and some machines may be effected in different ways. I asked when will there be a fix and they could only say they had no idea and referred me to a charged base software department. This is the support you get when you drop 5k on a laptop from Dell.

37 Posts

December 14th, 2015 08:00

My experience so far has been pretty negative with my new Alienware 15r2. Respawn just seems to be broken in win10 as you said. For me it was one of the minor selling points of the system. I have used it on my Alpha and i worked well for windows 8. I am debating sending it back for a refund. Just so many out of the box problems. The killer network card driver issues, the slow boot due to an out of date hard drive impact sensor, respawn, the yellowish screen tint and meh brightness.

I thought I would get something that would wow me but so far, not so much. I spent hours trying to get the OS installed on my M.2 SSD.

December 17th, 2015 01:00

What I do not understand is why Alienware/Dell customer base that admittedly spent a hefty sum on this so-called high-end hardware aren't treated with more deserved respect and with diligent answers. What is no one from Alienware monitoring this site and chiming in with much deserved and needed answers.

No Events found!