Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 4th, 2015 20:00

How to install a Samsung 950 Pro in Alienware 17 R3 successfully.

What not to do:
Call Dell for Help
Look for a direct solution from other Alienware members
Look for a direct solution anywhere on the internet
Do not clean install Windows.
Do not use Recovery imaging.
Do not auto the cloning software.
Do not use Dell BIOS.  It doesn't matter if it doesn't detect it will still boot if you follow my method.
Experiment thinking there is an easier/better option.

I tried many steps from diskpart, and windows ISO usb. I tried migration.  I tried changing the IDs.

What to do:
Use Macrium Reflect.
Close and detach all applications/peripherals even in taskbar by the clock.
Source is the HDD.  Destination is the SSD.
Drag the HDD partitions one by one to the destination bar.
Adjust the GB to accommodate the extra partitions.  I had to use 225.7GB for C: of 256GB (3rd partition from the left) which gave me extra space for the other 2 partitions (last 2).  The win something and recovery something.
If you use any other recovery imaging/cloning software it might not clone all partition data 1:1.  Samsung says it in the notes that it won't completely clone recovery partitions.
Turn PC off and remove HDD.  Put HDD on desktop and delete all partitions using cmd > diskpart > list disk > select HDD disk number > type clean > enter.
Put HDD into PC.  Turn PC on.
It might take 2 restarts for the SSD to completely work perfectly.  I had to go through a checking disk for errors once for it to work ultra smooth.

*If you still cannot boot you can load up a windows iso then go into cmd then type bootrec /rebuildbcd press y then enter then done

Done.

Results:

Lag and sluggishness is gone.  The constant 25W 100% C: usage from the slow HDD means battery life is longer.  I gained 2+ hours according to the "remaining".

8 Posts

November 4th, 2015 20:00

Just installed mine into my 15 R2 and worked fine by doing a clean windows install, no workarounds or anything required. (due to the fact my hard disk doesn't work it didn't pose any problem for losing data (support call open to get that replaced)

Just happy my new machine works now thanks to the SSD!

49 Posts

November 5th, 2015 00:00

Glad to see this drive is working with the new laptops.

314 Posts

November 5th, 2015 01:00

thanks Ant. Back to my original question, how long to load windows 10 or gta 5? :)

1 Message

November 5th, 2015 01:00

Hi,

Is there a way to restore my restore partition? I replaced my HDD but now I don't have the restore partition.

Reinstalling Windows10 works fine, (all most just 1 unknown device) but I would like the restore area so Respawn can work again.

Willem Jan

8 Posts

November 5th, 2015 04:00

Windows 10 login screen appears about 5 seconds from hitting the power button. Haven't got GTA5 so can't answer that one for you.

I did a quick comparison to my other PC  which has a SATA M.2 in it and it is noticeably quicker to boot windows and load apps, although normal SSD's aren't any slouches either. 

Not sure if its really worth all the hype / money but its cool none the less and given all the stuff I'd read about how much hassle these NVME PCIE SSD's were to get to work, I was expecting the worst.

202 Posts

November 5th, 2015 05:00

Just installed mine into my 15 R2 and worked fine by doing a clean windows install, no workarounds or anything required. (due to the fact my hard disk doesn't work it didn't pose any problem for losing data (support call open to get that replaced)

Just happy my new machine works now thanks to the SSD!

The problem is they key.  Some people don't have an extra key to use.  Does it know the key automatically?

I didn't want to find all the necessary drivers plus the recovery partitions are all gone if you clean install so you have to reinstall what is missing.  Dell came with all the drivers needed but the Intel updated one.  All I had to do was run through device manager on everything to update as well as install NVMe and Nvidia but that's all.

You need to install everything like TPM, and many other secret software that probably isn't just found by device manager.  I didn't want to go through all that as some doesn't even show on Dells website.  I had bad experience with previous notebooks doing it the clean install method.

Doing it my method is the best way to keep everything.  It's like 100% factory and I can use all the software Dell offers for it.  When you clean install it would say stuff is missing.

202 Posts

November 5th, 2015 05:00

thanks Ant. Back to my original question, how long to load windows 10 or gta 5? :)

I didn't install GTA 5 on the laptop as I have it on the main.  I'm sure it would be fast but logging in online takes a while all the time.

Planetside 2 loaded faster than HDD.  Loading anything is better than HDD as everytime it loads or checks something in the background like Windows Defender it makes the PC slow.  Initially turning the PC on is slow.  Coming out of sleep is slow.  Loading a browser and searching anything is slow.  With the SSD its like everything is loaded and having stuff in the background doesn't make it bog.

Looking at benchmarks for all SSDs since way back, it doesn't really make games load faster even if you have 2GB of speed vs 500MB.  At best it would be 1-2 seconds but no more.  But from HDD is where the real separation is at.

As a laptop I need it to be a mobility device that means the battery life has to be long.  The problem that I can't stress enough is the 7200RPM takes a longer time to be at 100% 25W than SSD.  SSD puts the files on and off quickly so it doesn't kill the battery life.  My battery life has been way superior than HDD as the main component of data function.

8 Posts

November 5th, 2015 07:00

Did you mean the Windows CD key? I was worried about that at first, but then remembered that Win 8.1 and above Its baked into the motherboard, so doesn't even ask for it.

As I said in my post, my mechanical HDD is doa, and not getting replaced until tomorrow, so no real option other than to fresh install off a standard win 10 install media created from the MS media creation tool.

If you follow the alienware guide on installation (IE install all the DELL drivers except Nvidia) and also install alienrespawn (now branded DELL backup & recovery) it does all the recovery partition stuff for you. (note default Win 10 home install did also create its own 450mb recovery partition). Nothing missing at all.

I've reinstalled about 3 times so far in the course of troubleshooting the hard disk (interesting problem where it works perfectly sometimes and not others) and putting the SSD in and windows is all good and activated. Actually quite painless.

I guess it all depends on if you've already got things on there you don't want to lose, or are happy to fresh install. 

I also found that operation was quite slow before installing the samsung NVME driver and using the OP setting in magician. This made a big difference in performance once I rebooted.

Either way, to the point of my original post, verified this works in the 15.R2 in the scenario I have which is a clean install. Don't have any desire to enter into a philisophical debate on the topic, what I did worked best for me and won't for someone else.

202 Posts

November 5th, 2015 09:00

The best way to see what I mean is to hold the fn key then press the power button when the system is off.  There's a compete diagnostics test.  You can only do it if you have the original partitions.  You can use all the other alienware/dell features (outside windows).  If you clean install you can't do it anymore forever.

My method is straight forward and it would clone everything and make it look like it was from the factory while retaining all the settings/apps/files from the HDD.

202 Posts

November 5th, 2015 09:00

The best way to understand to do it my way is when you hold fn key and press power button.  It goes through diagnostics.  If you clean install you lose that and probably other alienware things.

My method is straight forward and it allows you to completely migrate the drive as if it was installed from the factory.

202 Posts

November 5th, 2015 12:00

I had to uninstall the dell stuff, like support assist and customer assist, because it made the pc seem to have problems but now no more problems.

8 Posts

November 5th, 2015 14:00

Yep, familiar with the ePSA tool as had to run it a bunch of times for the support call I made for my hard disk.

Its on its own ROM in the UEFI BIOS and as such not impacted by a fresh install. (As per my OP my hard disk is dead and before I put the 950 in it couldn't even boot)

Take your hard drives out, boot and hit F12, run diagnostics and check it out.

If you're talking about the AW / DELL branded recovery option you get if you boot windows to recovery mode, installing respawn gives that back.

202 Posts

November 5th, 2015 16:00

so you are saying I can use alien respawn w/ a brand new hard drive and no dell partitions and it would install windows?

8 Posts

November 5th, 2015 17:00

Only if you've previously created an image on external media and have a hard disk the same size or bigger than the original. (Note I Didn't try this recovery as I just built the machine off a standard windows media)

What I was saying is that if you take a brand new 950 SSD out of the box, put it in your skylake based Alienware laptop with no other drives and just install Windows, it has no effect on the use of the ePSA tools etc. Once the drivers and DELL software is installed, its no different to the factory.

The windows install will create its own recovery partition and once you've installed alien respawn, it will bring back that option in the recovery menu should you need it later.

Essentially, what I'm saying is that you won't lose anything if you do the fresh install and install the right DELL software. The only thing you really need to look for is the SoundBlaster control panel as its a windows 8.1 driver, but again there's lots of stuff out there written about that.

202 Posts

November 5th, 2015 19:00

but the problem is the Windows 10 activation

No Events found!