Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 16th, 2016 18:00

Issue with drivers for R9 M290X on Alienware 17-R1?

hi, i have an Alienware 17-R1 with the AMD R9 M290X.

have tried to install the latest drivers from AMD and Dell but with no luck

Windows keeps saying the drivers are not support for this version of windows

I have tried to do a fresh install from windows 7,8,8.1 and 10 home installing all drivers before the dedicated graphics card

I've run out of ideas. PLEASE HELP!

901 Posts

February 17th, 2016 04:00

Hi.

I suspect you have a faulty GPU - The 290x series is a bit unreliable.

There are a couple of things you can try.

Download and install driversweeper.

Uninstall both the Intel HD and any AMD drivers you have, restart the laptop and run driversweeper, check the box's for Intel graphics and AMD, let driversweeper do it's thing. Erase any files driversweeper asks you to.

Reboot laptop.

Install latest HD4000 Graphics driver - Restart laptop.

Press Function F5 and reboot to dedicated AMD GPU only.

Install AMD driver from AMD website - Try to avoid Crimson, it's still a bit new, go for a slightly older WHQL driver if you can't find a new non-crimson driver.

If you have issues while doing install AMD driver just persist, you have one option left after this.

If the driver is still showing errors after install, try a complete power drain, I've had AMD cards go a bit stupid after being interrupted before.

Disconnect mains power and main battery.

The AW 17 coin cell battery is hard to get to, it's near the WiFi card, you can partially remove enough to complete the power drain without having to remove the motherboard, get a VERY fine flat blade screwdriver or scribe - Insert the point of the object you are using in the "missing" part of the retaining plastic circle, push it slightly up and slightly forward, it will not come all the way out but it should come out enough to complete the power drain.

Once you have removed the mains power, main battery and coin cell battery press and HOLD the power button (on/off switch) down for 60 seconds.

Now you can replace all batteries and power leads.

Restart your laptop.

If the powerdrain has been successful you will hear 5 error beeps the first time you boot it up - Ignore it, it's just telling you the CPU clock has been reset..

Press and hold power button until laptop shuts down, restart laptop, it should boot normal, check your device manager and see if the issue is fixed.

If it still appears I think you may have a faulty card.

901 Posts

February 17th, 2016 04:00

Sorry not HD4000 - HD4600

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 17th, 2016 12:00

AFAIK, there are no Windows-10 graphics drivers for systems with Intel/AMD "Switchable Graphics".

However, you should be able to re-install your original Win-7 and/or Win-8 and it's matching set of older drivers from that time frame and it will work again. That is providing your hardware is working properly.

If you must have Win10-64bit, you will likely only be able to use Intel-IGP. You might also have to disable AMD card in DeviceManager. Not an optimal solution, but at least machine will again work (and not lockup or take forever to boot ... due to OS having trouble with error-ed AMD card).

No Events found!