Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 28th, 2014 18:00

Just bought an Alienware 17 R5, have some questions!

Hi all, I'm new to the community and I have been wanting to get an alienware for so long. And now that I have, I have questions and need advice before it comes in.

The model I got: 

i7-4700mq

16gb ram

GTX 880m

blueray drive

1080 60hz antiglare screen

500 gb HDD

WL HD 60GHZ RECEIVER HDMI

Ok, the system I'm going to get is coming bundled with Windows 7.  

I'm also looking to putting a 256gb samsung 840 pro for the primary OS and a 500gb or 1TB Samsung 840 evo msata ssd for everything else.  The 500gb HDD, I'm going to either keep in the system or take it out.  

I also want to install Windows 8 Pro.  Should I first clone the OS that it comes with to the 256gb ssd, then do a clean install of Windows 8 on it?  Or should I just go ahead and install Windows 8 from the get go and then clone it onto the 256gb ssd?   

I got the model with the wireless hd receiver, and I was wondering how exactly would the receiver work? 

And finally, the ram.  I'm going to have 16gb of ram and I know it should be more than adequate for everything, but I was wondering if ram installed is under the keyboard side or under the back cover. If its the latter, I might upgrade to 32gb.

215 Posts

March 30th, 2014 13:00

I would keep the factory HD as it comes and keep it around in case you want to sell this machine later.

For the 256 SSD, I would just install Windows 8 to it directly.  

I would only do a clone of the 500 GB factory hd if you were to keep Windows 7.  

Others may choose to do this differently but it's the way I would do it :)

Good luck.

215 Posts

March 30th, 2014 13:00

oh, one more thing, I had the same question you had recently regarding Ram.  I asked the forum as well.  I was advised I did not need the upgrade since I do not do anything that requires it.

1.2K Posts

March 30th, 2014 20:00

16 gig   is a lot of  ram I have 24 gig on my M18X R2 and rarely see more then 8 used occasional 10ish area depending how long since reboot..

keeping original drive would   be a good thing in event you need warranty work as original sent products maybe required for dell troubleshooting to verify your drive isn't the cause..  I still have my original 1tb in an external drive casing ...

No Events found!