Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 24th, 2011 21:00

Just ordered an Aurora-R3, overkill?

I just ordered an Aurora-R3 about 2 hours ago. I can't help but wonder if it is overkill or if I have simply ordered a system that will last me a while. I tend to keep computers an agonizingly long time so I'm hoping it's just the latter. There are a few games I'v been wanting to try that I know my old jalopy wouldn't think about running so I'm excited. 

My old system (since April 2006) = Dimension E510 with a blistering Pentium D 3.0. Mild upgrading through the years has it left with an 8800GT, 2gb ddr2, and a 1TB WD Black w/ windows 7 32bit. It has held up ok and played all the latest games up until the last couple of years. Slowly the settings started getting lowered and now I don't even bother. lol

New system = Aurora-R3, i7 2600 @3.9, 8gb ddr3, single AMD Radeon HD 6950, raid0 1TB drives (for 2TB total right?), blue ray, ect ect ect. I plan to play modern warfare 2, mafia II, and then mostly just stuff I already played on my old system (only with super crazy higher settings)

So what do you all think? Overkill? Underkill? I felt like I went middle of the road with most of the options. I'm not an avid gamer by any means, I am just hoping that for the next 3-4 years I dont have to even glance at reqs when looking at the new games coming out. 

431 Posts

June 24th, 2011 22:00

looks nice. As long as your not having freezing issues like a lot of other R3 owners youll be is great shape!

18 Posts

July 1st, 2011 16:00

@C_ronic,  He definitely wont....Get it right before posting something stupid to someone who just made a large purchase and get him all worried. The issue happened, unfortunately, to pre-May purchases.

Not overkill, enjoy the new rig.

July 1st, 2011 16:00

There is simply no such thing as overkill.  I paid a fortune for my M17x R2 a year ago and haven't looked back--in fact, I wish I had paid more to include SSD drives in it (that's the only option I didn't get--everything else was top of the line at the time).  I would caution against buying factory overclocked systems (at least in the laptops), though, because their performance improvement is negligible and the upgrade is about $800.  But I even bought that upgrade.

Since you clearly keep systems for a while, your setup sounds perfect for your uses.  And it is easily and inexpensively modded in the future should you decide you need more in it.  Plus, you bougt at a good time. DX11 will be the standard for a while, but even it will not figure prominently in many games for the next few years because the PS3 and the X360 run DX9 (although X360 can do hardware tesselation--but no programmers have made use of it yet).  In any event, these console systems have been tweaked over the past few years and are producing graphics at the upper end of their limits now.  Since your system can run all of their games with room to spare, I think you are good for a while.

And you know what?  The minute you aren't, you can buy a $300 video card and solve the problem. Your intel processor is really, really good at multi-core intensive processes, but the consoles only have three cores each and the current generation of Intels so far exceed the capacity of the first generation i7's that I cannot imagine your processor type will ever be listed as a minimum spec on a game package.  As for the 6950--it is a second generation DX11 card with only marginal improvements over the 5000 series.  I do not think it will be worth buying the 7000 series unless they introduce DX12, and even then I wouldn't do it unless there are a fair amount of games already announced that will be ready to use it.

Sounds like your new system is a beast.  The only thing you won't be able to do with just one card is run everything at high settings across three monitors, but aside from that, I don't think any existing game will stutter on your system.  I have an Aurora R1 desktop will much less impressive specs than your system and I max out everything, all the time.

Have fun gaming!!!

431 Posts

July 1st, 2011 17:00

LOL I could have told him how Alienware support is terrible and not to buy one at all but I didnt :D

18 Posts

July 1st, 2011 17:00

There ya go, dont buy a PC cause of support...just saying man why get someone freaked after coughing up that much cash?

22 Posts

July 1st, 2011 23:00

If you got deep pockets for more upgrades then do it so the machine will last you even longer.

I have the first generation Aurora and I bought it with slightly high upgrades in it. Your not alone when it comes to overkill. We all love Alienware that's why we have one, if not we would be building our own I'm pretty sure. Tech support who are we kidding and I don't understand some of these guys since none of the tech support are from America just saying.

Other then that great machine and hope you enjoy it Mattnky!

Alienware Aurora

i7 920 O/clocked@3.8Ghz

Windows 7 64bit, Bios A10

ATi 5970 2GB

12GB Tri-Channel 1600mhz RAM

2x 500GB SG Barracuda HDD Raid 1

128GB Samsung SSD

46 Posts

July 2nd, 2011 00:00

Its NOt going to matter, CoZ once you manage to crane lift it into place :O, it wont be going anywhere!!!! lol its an awesome beast even just to look at, and ive had mine since april 2011, love it, the only thing missing is a samsung 27" 3D 120hz monitor and it arrives monday (graaaaw!)

your system setup seems pretty cool, the only thing i would have not gone for was the blu ray drive, in the UK its simply cheaper to retro fit one! but nice choice on the 6950!

hope you enjoy it when it arrives and welcome to the club ;)

5 Posts

July 2nd, 2011 14:00

I bought my Aurora ALX in the spring of 2009.............very disappointed....freezing problems and so on.......a terrible BIOS-update (to A011).....Dell helpdesk...very friendly people, but no support........Since a few months no freezing......but for how long? No Dell/Alienware for me in the future!

8 Posts

August 26th, 2011 18:00

Mistyped 6950 GPU

8 Posts

August 26th, 2011 18:00

Just got my R3 on 8/24/2011

i5-2300 overclocked to 3.3GHz, Radeon 2MB DDR5 6859 GPU, 16MB RAM @1333 and I only have one complaint. Its so dam fast I keep overshooting targets as I am used to my previous slow computer :) Gonna take a few games to get used to it. In COD modern warfare 2 I am averaging around 150 to160 fps. Should last me for years to come and then I can always add a 2nd 6950 in SLI for increased performance as more demanding games come out. I agree with previous posters, no such thing as overkill...

36 Posts

August 29th, 2011 14:00

Nah...no such thing as overkill. I do the same thing you do - keep systems for a very long time. Just got my Aurora ALX (see specs below) after using my 2006 XPS 700 (Intel Duo 2.4Ghz, Nvidia 7950GX2) which was a monster in its day (before the 720 6 months later...). Nvidia card finally gave out, so I put a cheapo card in, and now it's my wife's PC! I figure this one oughta last 5 years as well...when they'll probably have 12 core 10Ghz processors...

No Events found!