Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 9th, 2014 09:00

Looking for Alienware X51 R2 power board part no.

I would like to upgrade my Alienware X51 power board component to the new version that they introduced in the R2 versions of the X51. If I understand correctly, they modified the power boards in the X51 R2s to allow for up to 170 tdp for the GPU. Meanwhile, the power board in the X51 R1s only allow up to 150 tdp. This is a concern for many owners who own the X51 and want to upgrade to the new Nvidia 900 series. I have integrated my GTX 970 into my computer and it works fine, plays Skyrim/Bioshock Infinite/Rome Total War II nicely when I downclock and undervolt it. If I don't downclock or undervolt, the computer powers off and my suspicion is due to the power board (the 970 gtx draws 145 watt, but can go to 160 when boosted by Nvidia Boost 2.0 for performance).

671 Posts

October 9th, 2014 13:00

The part number you're looking for (Power Board for the X51 R2) is: D85RT

I hope you find this information useful.

2 Posts

October 9th, 2014 18:00

Is this part compatible with the X51 R1? If so where can I purchase this part?

16 Posts

November 10th, 2014 19:00

Yes it's compatible with the r1.

As for where to purchase it, you'll have to buy it on ebay / 3rd party websites like this: www.computer-spare-parts.info/.../333

Dell will not sell you that part.
I talked with four different reps and chatted with an additional three and was given the following answers.
1. the part is out of stock,

2. the part is not sold,

3. the part can only be sold if you purchase the motherboard in addition (~$284)

I am fairly confident that everything I told was a load of bs. I tried to buy from dell first but was not given the opportunity, so they lost business and I was able to find the part for $46 on ebay.

I suggest searching ebay.

February 6th, 2015 03:00

Is it safe to buy from 3rd part websites like www.computer-spare-parts.info ?

No Events found!