Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 9th, 2015 06:00

M11X LCD Complete assembly replacement

Hi, I have suffered the broken hinge issue on my R2. It actually started under warranty but I did nothing about it. Most recently I fried the USB part of the mboard when connected to a variable speed drive...must have had some leakage into my usb outlet from poor grounding.

Anyhow I have replaced the motherboard, daughterboard and also found the power button to be buggy so I replaced the whole palmrest panel with power button. Now I have my near new everything else I am considering buying a spare LCD for next time the plastic lets go (araldite seems to be working for now).

There are plenty of screens to choose from by way or part numbers. Could someone please point out the differences for me - R3 had an updated screen which is more than probably compatible but were there any resolution or HD improvements in any of the range? I found the below but it doesn't indicate why there are so many different part numbers. BTW I am not concerned about colour or what additional antennae are in the screen (I only need the WLAN)...why are there so many parts to choose from? I can't seem to see any reasonably priced R2 LCD's at present but there are R1 - R2Y7G and R3's - 7V9HX available.

Thanks in advance.

Alienware Laptops: Hinge Policy

• We are not replacing the LCD/Hinge assembly on anymore out of warranty M11x laptops. We only did this for a period of 6 months outside of the purchased warranty. That period is long over for all M11x. You will have to purchase a replacement LCD assembly from a 3rd party reseller which houses the hinges and have a local technician do the work. The hinges cannot be replaced by themselves. They are part of the entire LCD assembly.

Q: Why did Dell fix the M11x up to 6 months outside of the purchased warranty period but not other Alienware laptops?
    A: The hinges on the the other Alienware Mx laptops were constructed differently than the hinges on the M11x. The M11x was flawed. We covered that one up to 6 months outside of the purchased warranty. According to the Alienware product team, the other laptops do not have systemic hinge failures. This was based on total sold versus number of hinge complaints. But, like any hardware that is under constant duress, it will fatigue due to general wear and tear. We do not define a hinge or its connection areas failure as defects in materials and workmanship. All other Alienware laptops must follow the restrictions of the Dell Wear and Tear policy.

Q: The onsite technician said that the hinges are a manufacturing defect?
    A: An onsite technician cannot make a Dell policy decision nor define a "manufacturing defect". All he can do is replace the parts we tell him to replace.

Q: I bought the Alienware Accidental Damage warranty, Dell should fix these hinges!
    A: Hinges are not covered in the Alienware Accidental Damage warranty
    Covered =
    * Liquid spilled on or in unit
    * Drops, falls, and other collisions
    * Electrical surge

Not covered =
    * Intentional acts of damage done by you or anyone else
    * Fire
    * Theft or loss
    * Normal wear and tear (hinges, bent AC adapter cabling, keyboard keys)
    * Consumables (batteries, LEDs)

M11x-R1 LCD assembly part numbers
    4FFHC Black, WiMax+WLAN (Replaced 757TW)
    R2Y7G Black, WWAN+WLAN (Replaced VT7K8)
    YMM9R Gray, WiMax+WLAN (Replaced PKYWD)
    KKH9C Gray, WWAN+WLAN (Replaced 6CVDV)
    * Go here for M11x-R1 parts

M11x-R2 LCD assembly part numbers
    40GMX Black, WiMax+WLAN (Replaced GNJW3)
    8JJT2 Black, WWAN+WLAN (Replaced YYYV5)
    YMM9R Gray, WiMax+WLAN (Replaced PKYWD)
    KKH9C Gray, WWAN+WLAN (Replaced 6CVDV)
    * Go here for M11x-R2 parts

M11x-R3 LCD assembly part numbers
    4NM3F Red, LTE+WWAN
    JNPYK Red, WiMax+WLAN
    NCXJ5 Red, WWAN
    V3M56 Black, LTE+WWAN
    7V9HX Black, WiMax+WLAN
    K966X Black, WWAN
    * Go here for M11x-R3 parts

Out of Warranty M14x Hinge Complaints
    It is not a manufacturing flaw. It is wear and tear. Dell will not fix these out of warranty M14x hinges for free. You will need to use the "Out of Warranty" repair service.

(Liaison for Desktops, Alienware, Monitors)
    #IWork4Dell
    Manuals and Drivers
    Technical Support via Chat
    Technical Support via Facebook

Poor Poor Fair Fair Average Average Good Good Excellent Excellent
    {count}' data-initialmessage=' Jeff.Guevara and 1 other like this' data-tipcontent="initialmessage"> Like 2

• 

2.7K Posts

July 9th, 2015 13:00

Every single component has a different part number that is why they are so many. There is no way to assure you if the R3 parts will work on your system since we didn’t validate R3 parts for the R2.

In the list you find for the M11x-R2 LCD assembly the main differences are the wireless antenna and the color. 

2 Posts

July 9th, 2015 18:00

Any M11x owners out there have any experience with this?

I understand the internal LCD "may" not be compatible with the motherboard/GPU output or pinout but does the physical screen build match i.e. hinges etc. I could always fit the internal LCD separately of reuse my existing LCD in the new shell.

Cheers.

No Events found!