Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 16th, 2011 10:00

M11x R2, Hang issues and AlienTouch error codes

Hey there,

I just got my brand new M11x and I have had it for a couple of days already. When I got it, it had W7 x64 Home edition but I reinstalled it with W7 Ult x64 version instead. Installed all the drivers, firmware, chipset, applications, and also did a BIOS update to vA04.

Since this brand new install, I have had 3 hangs when only running "a regular day", latest Skype, Latest Digsby, whatpulse, MS Security Essentials, FF 4 BETA.

After the first hang I had to do a manual shutdown to reboot it. After this I configured the machine to do a manual dump on CTRL+SCROLL LOCK+SCROLL LOCK by following MS KB969028 and also I downloaded the latest nVIDIA drivers from nvidia.com and installed.

969028        How to generate a kernel or a complete memory dump file in Windows Server 2008

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;969028

On my next hang I was thinking, alright, lets dump this and take a look at the dump... Only to find out that there is no SCROLL LOCK on the keyboard (SWE keyboard). This means, I cannot create a manual dump on this machine and I do not have any USB keyboard to use either so I cannot trigger the manual dump in any way.

Also what I have now found out is that the AlienTouch is giving me a nice error code also when launching it from the start menu or going to it within the AlienWare software.

Now last night I got another hang at 0226 and when I woke up around 0600 It was in the hang state.

I am to run the DELL diagnostics to see what happens and I will clean boot the machine (disable all 3rd party services) including running the Base Video switch in MSCONFIG. Also I will uninstall the AV on this machine and let it run.

The only common factor that I can think of is that the hang occurs a couple of hours (3-10) after coming back after a hibernation.

Anyone else who have these issues also?

How do I create the manual dump with the built in keyboard when I do not have a SCROLL LOCK key?

AlienTouch Error Code:

System.ArgumentException: Value does not fall within the expected range.

at SYNCTRLLib.SynDeviceCtrlClass.GetLongProperty(SynDeviceProperty eProperty)

at AlienLabs.TouchPad.Domain.Classes.TouchPadAPIClass.GetPropertyValue(SynDeviceProperty property)

at AlienLabs.TouchPad.Domain.Classes.TappingServiceClass.get_IsDisabledIfMouseAttached()

at AlienLabs.TouchPad.App.Presenters.TappingPresenter.refresh()

at AlienLabs.TouchPad.App.Views.Classes.ViewFactoryClass.newTappingView()

at AlienLabs.TouchPad.App.Views.Classes.ViewFactoryClass.newView(ViewType type)

at AlienLabs.TouchPad.App.Views.Classes.ViewRepositoryClass.getByType(ViewType type)

at AlienLabs.TouchPad.App.Presenters.TouchPadPresenter.activate(ViewType type)

at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)

at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)

at AlienLabs.TouchPad.App.Helpers.EventTriggerClass.fire(ViewType value)

at AlienLabs.TouchPad.App.Presenters.NavigationPresenter.changeViewLinkSelected()

at AlienLabs.TouchPad.App.Views.Xaml.NavigationControl.ViewLink_Checked(Object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)

at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)

at System.Windows.Controls.RadioButton.OnChecked(RoutedEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ToggleButton.OnIsCheckedChanged(DependencyObject d, DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.DependencyObject.OnPropertyChanged(DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.FrameworkElement.OnPropertyChanged(DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.DependencyObject.NotifyPropertyChange(DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs args)

at System.Windows.DependencyObject.UpdateEffectiveValue(EntryIndex entryIndex, DependencyProperty dp, PropertyMetadata metadata, EffectiveValueEntry oldEntry, EffectiveValueEntry& newEntry, Boolean coerceWithDeferredReference, OperationType operationType)

at System.Windows.DependencyObject.SetValueCommon(DependencyProperty dp, Object value, PropertyMetadata metadata, Boolean coerceWithDeferredReference, OperationType operationType, Boolean isInternal)

at System.Windows.DependencyObject.SetValue(DependencyProperty dp, Object value)

at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ToggleButton.set_IsChecked(Nullable`1 value)

at AlienLabs.TouchPad.App.Views.Xaml.NavigationControl.createViewLinkbyType(ViewType viewlinkItem)

at AlienLabs.TouchPad.App.Views.Xaml.NavigationControl.CreateViewLinks()

at MS.Internal.FrameworkObject.OnLoaded(RoutedEventArgs args)

at System.Windows.BroadcastEventHelper.BroadcastEvent(DependencyObject root, RoutedEvent routedEvent)

at System.Windows.BroadcastEventHelper.BroadcastLoadedEvent(Object root)

at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.FireLoadedPendingCallbacks()

at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.FireInvokeOnRenderCallbacks()

at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandlerCore(Object resizedCompositionTarget)

at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandler(Object resizedCompositionTarget)

at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter)

at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter, Delegate catchHandler)

4 Posts

February 17th, 2011 01:00

OK, so today comes an update.

I uninstalled the AlienWare software/applications and alos uninstalled MS Security essentials.

When I was along the clean up process, I uninstalled FutureMark also so that was properly cleaned up alon gwith the extra compionents it installed.

Now at the same time I downloaded SP1 for W7 and after download and uninstallations were complete, a reboot took place.

After reboot, installation of SP1 was done with the reboot there also.

Now after this I started using the computer "as normal" with FF Beta 4, Digsby, SKype, doing som calls etc. I went to bed and let the machine run during the night.

No hangs. Yet. No when I left for work, I close the lid and it goes into hibernation. TOnight we will see if it hangs again after coming back from hibernation.

Does anybody have any answers to how do I manually dump the machine on a hang when I do not have any SCROLL LOCK key?

42 Posts

February 17th, 2011 04:00

It's probably politically/environmentally incorrect, but I never use sleep/hibernation modes.  I seem to run into problems upon wake up and this has been with various versions of windows over the years.

No Events found!