Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 11th, 2010 10:00

M11x issues

Hi, I'm seeing the following out-of-the-box issues with the M11x:

- AlienFX controller severely degrades battery life by driving CPU 10% constantly, with a WMI query of "select * from Win32_USBDeviceController" repeated several times per second

- Hibernating the machine while on discrete graphics consistently causes integrated graphics to break (integrated graphics gets stuck only able to output to the VGA port and not the built-in laptop screen).  This is while the BIOS is set to switchable graphics mode.

Additionally, it looks like my machine came without various components not even connected inside (the Alienware logo (text) lighting zone on the LCD is non-functional, the battery life indicator on the bottom of the machine is also non-functional).  These are however specific to the assembly of my machine I suspect.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 12th, 2010 19:00

Send me the service tag number in a private conversation (Click my name, click Send a Message).

1 Message

March 16th, 2010 00:00

Hi Chris, I'm a proud new owner of the M11x and I've been trying to find an appropriate support website than can help me regarding an issue that I'm experiencing. I got my laptop today and the first thing that I did (as with any other of my computers) was install an antivirus. I have a Norton Internet Security license that I share with my 2 other computers. My problem is that every time I boot up the computer the antivirus detects a security risk (an executable file - basic.exe) within one of the alienwares software generated folders. This might not seem like a big issue but it is happening every time I turn on the computer. I wish to know if that file is a valid one, if not that means that my computer came infected with a virus from the factory, cause I dont think it got infected in the process of retrieving my serial key from my email. I have my doubts regarding that being a malicious file but I need confirmation from you that it is an alienwares software valid file or not. Can you please help me?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 16th, 2010 08:00

It is a valid file. It is not a virus. It is Norton not identifying the file correctly. Tell Norton to ignore it.

No Events found!