Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 19th, 2013 11:00

M11x, one problem solved but several more follow

I was experiencing heat issues. 70C when turning the computer on. 95C+ when gaming. Too hot to do anything worthwhile.  I would get frame drop after 10 minutes of any resource hungry game.  I decided to get Arctic Silver and the purifying solutions to cool things off. I opened the computer, cleaned the heatsinks, processor, and graphics card. Put the new thermal compound on it. And finally put it back together. 

I turned it on, nothing happened, opened it up and made sure all the wires were alright and fired her up again. The screen started cycling through different colors and finally turned off. I checked everything again and powered it up and it worked.

Now the problem. 

• My desktop wallpaper (not the screen) flickered and took 20 seconds to load from black.
  • The icons in my systray appeared invisible (I can hover over them to produce a shadow, but useless).
  • And my wireless internet would say it was connected. But I had no internet connectivity.
  • My clock appeared to be off but I attributed that to the fact that I disconnected and reconnected the CMOS battery.

I restart again, this time everything loads up perfectly. My temps are amazing (49C and 72C gaming-so I can actually game). I played one of the games that had the problem and it was marvelous. Everything is great.

I shut the computer down to let it rest overnight. I turned it on in the morning and my clock is wrong, internet is out, and my systray icons are again, invisible

I restart it, and it goes back to being normal, but I had to sync the time again. 

Basically, every other time I powercycle the beast, she produces the same problems as the errors bulleted above.

Steps I have taken:

1. Reseated the RAM and CMOS (it might be worth noting the sticky pad that holds the CMOS is no longer sticky so it just hangs)
  2. SFC Scan
  3. ChkDsk
  4. Flashing the BIOS 03>03 and 03>04
  5. Reinstalled the Ethernet driver

Performance Information

• Errors: Drivers for Bluetooth Peripheral Device has not been installed (strange because I can still pair my computer with my phone)
  • The Desktop Window Manager is experiencing heavy resource contention. (I get several Warnings for this one including Graphics subsystem resources are over-utilized, The Desktop Window Manager responsiveness has degraded.)
  • I also get Critical Boot Performance Monitoring errors

I tried to give as much information as I could. If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it!
Thanks so so so so so much.

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 

Motherboard: Alienware |  | M11x R2

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU       U 640  @ 1.20GHz | CPU | 1200/1066mhz

901 Posts

May 20th, 2013 06:00

Hi, have you tried a complete power drain?

If you dont know already, disconnect AC power, main battery and CMOS battery.

Turn computer over and press and HOLD power button down for 15 seconds.

Reconnect everything and give it a try

Check your hard drive connections

If this does not work you may have a more serious issue

Goodluck

2 Intern

• 

835 Posts

May 21st, 2013 16:00

Hi mmagidson,

If after trying AndrewSi suggestion, you continue to have the same issue, run a diagnostics test (press F12 several times during post and select the "Diagnostics" or "Pre boot assestment" option). And go back in and check all the connections, make sure nothing is half way in.

This may sound unrelated, but after any hardware change, I always like to re install the Operating System and it's always worked, you should give it a try.

EDIT ADD: you should follow the steps in this article if you are going to re install the OS.

No Events found!