Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 12th, 2015 00:00

M11xr3 for a large LCD?

Basically I wonder if a larger LCD would be appropriate for this model?. With the connection to fit and the VGA can handle it ?.

Finite details are the thing lives in my car In a fitted dash with the LCD as a normal one is due to the length of connection but not hinged, fitted into dash instead.

Can it be connected?

727 Posts

May 12th, 2015 20:00

Oh, that's what you mean. Yeah, no, the screen for the m17x won't work for the m11x. However, there have been people putting 13" screens into the m11x.

It has nothing to do with VGA, and graphics card.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

May 12th, 2015 11:00

If you want to connect an external monitor to this system, you can do it with an HDMI or DisplayPort cable. If your monitor only has a VGA input, you will need an adapter. For example, an HDMI to VGA adapter.

9 Posts

May 12th, 2015 18:00

That's my 2nd option.

Just matching the connection and if the VGA can cope.?.

727 Posts

May 12th, 2015 18:00

Getting a display port to VGA should be good enough to connect your laptop to an external monitor. The m11xR3 would be able to handle the external monitor. 

9 Posts

May 12th, 2015 19:00

My question is can an eg. m17 LCD made for that alinware model (or about that) interchange and fit my m11 to the connection and that the graphics card can handle it?

I already use the HDMI port.

I'm guessing.......that it holds the correct characteristics for use with the motherboard and programs put through it, or I just hack off the monitor and use exclusively HDMI with the same result.

I haven't read that specifically it could so I have to ask, god knows why there's any difference but it goes hand in hand that there's always something in connecting devices with some ruling 'requirement' to be obeyed.

I would've thought it was better to have a LCD connected.....

118 Posts

May 12th, 2015 20:00

I am not sure if the connectors are the same, but they may very well be. Such connectors are often standardized, at least within a product line.

That said, there is no real advantage to that vs. VGA or HDMI. In fact, the cables will be very short for the mobo connection. You will have to fabricate cables to make it work.  Keep in mind that a carPC is subjected to quite a lot of vibration.

Also, a standard Alienware 17 screen won't give you touch function. A cheap 17 inch touchscreen monitor will give more functionality without the added cost and difficulty.

9 Posts

May 12th, 2015 23:00

A slightly more sensible option and could fit in the existing place. Hinges seemed the hitch.

Touch seems a nice add to....I didn't know that.

So really I fit what I can and just use HDMI...it all fits solid in the fitted dash. I thank techys for ssd HDD making mobility greater. You guys too, thanks for the input.

9 Posts

May 14th, 2015 07:00

OH, I see, ha, push the 13" screen....there's a build thread behind it.

118 Posts

May 15th, 2015 08:00

Pics of the final install would be cool! [:D]

9 Posts

May 15th, 2015 17:00

Basically it will fit IN the bezel, cut into it.

Other than that picture a HDMI cable.

Ha.

No Events found!