Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 18th, 2012 00:00

M14x Freezing too!

Hello all, Ive been following this thread. I recently (or should i say unfortunately?) bought an Alienware M14x (my first and most expensive Alienware laptop), but since the start ive had random freezing problems and lock up issues, just like a lot of people on other posts, i have exactly the same problems.  The the screen just stays frozen, is still on (with whatever I was doing last) but completely unresponsive (including the keyboard) and requires me to restart it by holding down the power button. Very very sad.

I read in another publication (Ej. "Aurora R3 freezing") that some people solved their problems replacing the motherboard, hardrive,  graphics card, and memory RAM, do i need replace everything too?

Or the memory RAM is defective in some M14x Laptops? (Like in some Aurora R3 laptops)

Thank you very much and I'll be waiting an answer.

7 Posts

January 18th, 2012 00:00

Forget to put my specifications:

Alienware M14x R1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

8X DVD +/- RW Drive

NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M 1.5 GB graphics with Optimus

Proccesor: Intel Core i7 2630QM 2.0GHz (2.9GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache)

Monitor: 14.0 inch HD  (900p/1600x900) with WLED backlight

Battery: 8 Cell

Wave Systems Software

500 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)

6 GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz (1X4G 1X2G)

Intel Wireless-N WiFi Link 1000 a/g/n 1x2

7 Posts

January 18th, 2012 11:00

Anyone can help me please? I love my Alienware but i don't want this problem

757 Posts

January 18th, 2012 15:00

Go into BIOS and reset everything to default settings, and see if that helps. Make sure nothing else is connected to the laptop.

Make sure memory is set properly.

If you downloaded something and then you started having this problem, uninstall it or try a restore point.

I do not own a lap top si I can't help you much.

7 Posts

January 18th, 2012 17:00

I've tried the following:

1) did a Respawn recover to factory condition

2) made sure my graphics driver was up-to-date

3) no overclocking

4) monitored CPU and GPU temps (never gets hot)

5) checked to make sure RAM was seated properly

6) ran the Dell System Diag (the full deal that takes like 10hrs) - found no problems

7) ran Memtest multiple times (no errors)

8) ran 3DMark11, got OK score (seemed to be common score for my hardware)

9) ran Driver Verifier, doesn't help as it doesn't force a BSOD when the freezing occurs (so still no error log)

10) ran SFC - no problems

11) disabed AW Fusion

12)set all Power Options to not sleep, dim, etc. including HD (which I thought might've fixed it, but then it happened again)

13) turned off indexing and probably other stuff I'm forgetting

14) turned off Intel Rapid Storage

15) Disable Alien respawn.

16) Fresh windows 7 install, and much much more

And as i said before:

For everything I've read about it (a lot) I realize that this problem is common in so many Alienware laptops of different models. And the only thing we know for sure is that it solves definitely by replacing the motherboard, hardrive, graphics card and memory RAM. And in some cases found failures in some specific memory RAM series and solved their problems only by replacing the defective memory RAM.

Do i need replace everything too? How i do this? Or just memory RAM? Anyone know something about it? Please someone help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My memory RAM specifications:

6 GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz (1X4G 1X2G)

Memory Slot#1 DDR3 4096Mb Samsung, Part Number: M471B5273DH0-CK0   Serial: 222BF8FF

Memory Slot#3 DDR3 2048Mb Hyundai Electronics, Part Number: HMT325S6BFR8C-PB   Serial: 11519C5A

Alienware M14x R1

NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M 1.5 GB graphics with Optimus

Proccesor: Intel Core i7 2630QM 2.0GHz (2.9GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache)

Monitor: 14.0 inch HD  (900p/1600x900) with WLED backlight

500 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)

Intel Wireless-N WiFi Link 1000 a/g/n 1x2

Thank you very much and I'll be waiting an answer.

757 Posts

January 19th, 2012 04:00

For everything I've read about it (a lot) I realize that this problem is common in so many Alienware laptops of different models. And the only thing we know for sure is that it solves definitely by replacing the motherboard, hardrive, graphics card and memory RAM. And in some cases found failures in some specific memory RAM series and solved their problems only by replacing the defective memory RAM.

Do i need replace everything too? How i do this? Or just memory RAM? Anyone know something about it? Please someone help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Start by calling Tech support.

No Events found!