Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

May 16th, 2012 18:00

M17x R2 - Frequent, Sudden System Crashes

Hello,

I've had my Alienware for a little over two years now. From Speccy, I'm basically running on:

---------

Operating System
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i7 740QM @ 1.73GHz 52 °C
Clarksfield 45nm Technology
RAM
8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Alienware
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1440x900@60Hz)
1024MB GeForce GTX 285M (Dell) 52 °C
1024MB GeForce GTX 285M (Dell) 62 °C
ForceWare version 296.10
SLI Enabled
Hard Drives
488GB Seagate ST9500420AS (SATA) 48 °C
Optical Drives
BAPIXYF XINSDYNW5A7 SCSI CdRom Device
PLDS DVD+-RW DC-8A2SH
Audio
IDT High Definition Audio CODEC
---------

If you need more specs, just ask. 

Anyway, the problem I've been having is I'll be doing anything, most commonly playing a game (but not always) and the system will suddenly shut down - as if I had just held down the power button until it died. No blue screen or error message appears, until startup asks to boot normally or not. It's been happening every once in a while now, but more frequently recently. The only program I know of installing recently is Diablo III - which has only been on during a few of these shutdowns (although it has crashed every time I've spent a few minutes or so playing the game).

Through Speccy, I once noticed that the graphics cards were fairly hot (and shown as red temperatures) - around 90* C. or 110* C. However, it has crashed when they were about 70* C. or 80* C. as well... so I'm not sure if the temperature is a connection. As for CPU temperature, it hovers only around 50 or 60 degrees.

Another possible issue could be the battery.. for a while I've suffered the infamous Alienware "(plugged in, not charging)" but finally solved it. Still, I wonder if the battery is having connectivity issues with the PC, and if at the same time as that possibility, the AC adapter skips a beat, resulting in a crash due to loss of power. However, it seems unlikely now that (as I said) I solved the problem and this one still happens. 
What do you guys think?
I would love to solve this - my computer time is limited at each startup, and it will probably shut down in the next few minutes here or so.
Thanks in advance. 

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

May 17th, 2012 09:00

If still under warranty, I would start by getting the battery and AC adapter replaced. Then, use the replacements and troubleshoot from there.

3 Posts

December 29th, 2012 15:00

Hello Felewin,

How did you collect the above specs. I have been using Dell since the past one year, but getting sudden crashes recently.  Not sure, what the reason might be as I don't even use graphics that much. 

Do you think battery can be an issue in this case, as the system was purchased in India and I am using it in US. If yes, are there any precautions we can take to ensure smooth functioning.

Thanks.

2 Posts

December 30th, 2012 11:00

By the way, I have solved this problem now - I opened up the laptop and cleaned out dust from the GPUs. That did the trick.

I used Speccy.

December 31st, 2012 10:00

I'm glad that you got it sorted out with that. I was thinking about overheating also.

3 Posts

January 1st, 2013 22:00

Ohhh you mean to say this is not any technical problem, but I never encountered anything like this earlier, it's only nowadays that the system shuts down abruptly and since all of my work is from the laptop, I am really scared if this does not create any issue someday.

@Alienware : Is there any way we can avoid this problem and also, can keeping the laptop on charge most of the time give rise to any such issues.

January 2nd, 2013 07:00

Your PC can disable battery charging by pressing Fn+F2, when it reaches 100% then just disable the charging.

To avoid further overheating you can use some sort of cooling pad for the PC and use it only on a desk. Try to keep the environment around it clean and open it up to clean it every couple of months.

3 Posts

February 9th, 2013 13:00

Can I open the laptop and clean it myself .... have never done that so am scared i don't do anything wrong. Is there any good dell customer center around Phoenix where I can get it repaired.

All my work is done on the laptop and since past one month, it is creating so many problems. The moment I move it even an inch it reboots and then takes a lot of effort to start windows again. Any guess what can be done. Thanks.

Ritika

No Events found!