Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

March 20th, 2017 12:00

M17x R3 Updating graphics drivers for new GPU without the old one?

I bought an 'as is or for parts' M17x R3 not long ago. It refused to turn on and the GTX 580M in it had blown capacitors and I found the motherboard itself had a blown transistor upon further investigation, as the laptop should have still shown life even without the 580M functioning. I replaced the motherboard and had purchased a new GPU, as an upgrade to what it originally had in it, a GTX 765M. 

With the motherboard issue eliminated, the laptop powers on as normal, and seems to be working fine, however the LCD isn't displaying anything, only the backlight is on. I assume this is because the laptop only has the drivers the for the 580M and the computer doesn't know how to communicate with the 765M thus, nothing is displayed. 

Is there any way around this, getting the proper drivers installed, without having to waste money on a 580M that will just go to to waste after its function is complete?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

March 21st, 2017 09:00

Hi ‌,

Is there a way you can enter F2 or F12? What Windows version do you have installed?

6 Posts

March 21st, 2017 12:00

Hello Eimy,

It was upgraded to Windows 10 shortly before the original motherboard and GPU blew. I can try F2 or F12 in a little bit, however I don't think it will do anything, as nothing appears on screen, including the splash screen/ bootup.

6 Posts

March 21st, 2017 13:00

I booted it up and pressed F2 and F12 both, nothing happened.

I tried the built-in-self-test as well, holding D as its powered on and it resulted in no display (Not even the backlight) and a sequence of 19 loud , fast paced beeps each time I performed the test. These beeps were faster paced than Beep Code Errors.

I also tried both this using an HDMI and VGA out, nothing displaying on the TV and the laptops backlight came on with no display nor boot up.

No Beep Codes. All the FX lights come on. The fans spin. The HDD runs. The LCD backlight comes on and can be dimmed and brightened. Caps Lock, Num Lock, etc work. Just no display on the LCD Panel (except for backlight) or an External Monitor and cannot access BIOs. 

The GPU is an Nvidia GTX 765M that was overstock and pulled from working discontinued systems. It came sealed from the manufacturer and should be both in working order and flashed with Dell BIOs as it was advertised as NEW and for Alienware.

6 Posts

March 21st, 2017 15:00

Disconnected the LCD connector and tried external via HDMI again, this time it sent a signal, but was a black screen on my TV.

No Events found!