Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 14th, 2014 17:00

M17x R4 Plugged in HDMI input now screen flickers nonstop

Yesterday, I decided to dust off my Raspberry Pi that I bought several months back and connect it to the computer.  I didnt really stop any of the running programs or anything, just left everything as is and connected the HDMI cable.  Right away my Raspberry Pi screen popped up with no flickering.  (which means it's not the LCD screen I believe)

The Raspberry Pi doesnt have an "off" button.  You "shut it down" and unplug it afterwards.  I don't know if the HDMI Input still thinks it's connected or there are NVIDIA driver issues (I read alot of similar problems with regards to that subject)

Basically the screen now flickers.  It does not stop and also flickers if I go on my Linux install.  When I connect an external source to it though, the flickering goes away and I have a clear picture once again.

M17x R4

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
System Type x64

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz

Video card:   NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 15.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 6.37 GB
Total Virtual Memory 31.8 GB
Available Virtual Memory 19.9 GB

I know it is not the LCD??? because even afterwards when I connect my Raspberry Pi, the screen works perfectly.    

Thank you.

Jeremy

EDIT:

In the end, it turned out to be the LCD connection to the Video Card.  You can see all the info in my last post, basically I toyed with the connection, found the right spot and taped it down with some electrical tape.  It was  difficult, because the right spot was a little loose, not shoved in all the way like one would expect;  I had the issue whenever I would shove it all the way in, but when it was lightly put in, the screen worked completely fine.  Then I taped it in place, not pushed all the way in, but so that it would stay in its place in a relatively loose position.  :)

1.8K Posts

April 25th, 2014 12:00

What devices does it show on Control Panel/Device Manager/Display adapters? 

If the Intel 4000 is not showing there, try using FN+F7 to switch between graphics card and if the device shows, re-install the driver.

21 Posts

April 26th, 2014 01:00

The device does not show, even after restarting.  All that shows is "Standard VGA Graphic's adapter."

Should I just install the Intel drivers, it used to say Intel HD400 before my last drivers install for the GTX 680M.

I guess I should just install the Intel drivers?  Thank you.

EDIT:

Solved it.  It was so simple.  Now most people would consider it a lose HDMI, but in reality, it was a too snugly fit HDMI.  I loosened it while it was connected to see when it would affect the screen and I made it so that it would stay without the flickering at certain points.  I figured out how to reach those points, and then taped down the position with electrical tape.  I know this isnt the best solution for most of you, but it worked completely for me.  Had NOTHING to do with my videocard.......Just a loose LCD cable.  Toyed with it a little, while it was plugged in to see how each position affected the screen.

Figured out the position, and voila, I can now program and use Photoshop in peace, and I can stop being the embarassed guy in my C++ with Data Structures class who has the 2000$ laptop and a messed up screen.  Yay, now I have to finish putting this thing back together without messing with the current LCD  cord position o.o

SOLVED!   (If you're fine with opening up your laptop)

:)  Thanks for all your suggestions.  I have the most updated drivers now because of you all.  :)

1.8K Posts

April 28th, 2014 08:00

Yes, try to install this driver. If you get an error message saying the device is not detected, try using FN+F7.

Let me know how it goes! 

21 Posts

April 28th, 2014 14:00

Did you read my last post and edit of my first one?  Everything works fine now, after toying with the LCD cable connection on the video card.  The beige cord that leads up to the

Here's the info on the location of where the cord is connected to.

I have a GTX 680M so your set up may be a little bit different.

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/04/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?c=us&l=en&docid=544663

That should explain everything you need to know.  You don't need to remove the LCD, just toy with the cable that is connected to it.  It connects on the left of the bottom of the LCD and then comes accross to the other side where it connects to the (NVIDIA) video card.

21 Posts

April 28th, 2014 16:00

Sorry I forgot I posted this in another forum........SOLVED (for people willing to open up their computer and toy with the LCD cord)

Solved it.  It was so simple.  Now most people would consider it a lose HDMI, but in reality, it was a too snugly fit HDMI.  I loosened it while it was connected to see when it would affect the screen and I made it so that it would stay without the flickering at certain points.  I figured out how to reach those points, and then taped down the position with electrical tape.  I know this isnt the best solution for most of you, but it worked completely for me.  Had NOTHING to do with my videocard.......Just a loose LCD cable.  Toyed with it a little, while it was plugged in to see how each position affected the screen.

Figured out the position, and voila, I can now program and use Photoshop in peace, and I can stop being the embarassed guy in my C++ with Data Structures class who has the 2000$ laptop and a messed up screen.  Yay, now I have to finish putting this thing back together without messing with the current LCD  cord position o.o

SOLVED!   (If you're fine with opening up your laptop)

:)  Thanks for all your suggestions.  I have the most updated drivers now because of you all.  :)

No Events found!