Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 20th, 2013 23:00

M17x-R4, Windows 8.1, AMD Graphics Issue

Hello all,

If anyone has any suggestions / words-of-wisdom as to how I might proceed in diagnosing / remedying the issues below, I'd be quite happy to hear them! (Or even the name of a more specific forum if applicable)

I recently updated my m17x R4 AW laptop to Windows 8.1, performed the BIOS update to A13 and updated all of the drivers to the latest 8.1 versions from the dell website, and have since noticed some strange behavior from my graphics card.

When running a game, any game which uses the GPU, the "AMD System Monitor" program will show my Radeon 7970's usage spike instantly up to 99% and remain there throughout the duration of the cards use, typically dropping back to 0% once it is closed.  Using the "Process Explorer" program however shows a much more reasonable usage (depending on the game; for a low-quality game, 6-13%) - but despite this, the GPU's fan will be on 100% and after a few minutes will be incredibly hot, to the point where I will stop the game simply out of fear of burning out the card.

I've noticed some other peculiar behavior as well; starting the AMD system monitor before running a game causes it to crash, and bring down whichever part of Windows operates the metro screen, as I will be able to interact freely with my desktop, but will be unable to access the metro start screen.  Also, occasionally the 99% usage behavior outlined above will persist for a short while after closing a game.

Any thoughts / suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Warren Spencer

---

Alienware M17x R4

i7-3610QM

32GB Ram

AMD Radeon 7970m

A13 BIOS

90 Posts

November 20th, 2013 23:00

When was the last time you cleaned the debris between the fans and the cooling fins?

6 Posts

November 21st, 2013 00:00

Hello,

It has been just about exactly 2 months since the fans \ cooling fins \ vents were all cleaned out, taking a look atm, there is a very slight buildup of dust but certainly nothing out of the ordinary.

Cheers,

Warren Spencer

6 Posts

November 21st, 2013 09:00

Hello Milena,

Does Dell recommend any other programs for temperature monitoring other than the CPUID HWMonitor mentioned in the article? It shows the status of my CPU, hard drives and battery but does not list my GPU.  I've read that you have to run HWMonitor while a program is using the GPU for it to be recognized, and doing this does show the status of my integrated graphics, but not the GPU (which should be used as the program is listed as High Performance in Catalyst Control Center).

Cheers,

Warren Spencer

• 

2.7K Posts

November 21st, 2013 09:00

Hello Warrenspe!

On this article you will find some troubleshooting steps for you to determine if the system is overheating.

Let us know the temperatures when the system is idle and when you stress it with the programs in the article.

• 

2.7K Posts

November 21st, 2013 14:00

sure, to check on the video card temperature you can use GPU-Z

No Events found!