Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 24th, 2012 09:00

MTP device driver error help please ( I have X51 with windows 7 64 bit)

I get a MTP device driver error when i plug in my android phone i get this error can someone help me please. it use to work just fine there Motorola software updated and now for some reason it wont let me use it i even uninstalled all there software i still get the MTP device driver error. it wont install for the USB device even though i have my phone set to usb mass storage device i get this error. if i switch the phone to windows media Connect it works but then i cant axsess the phone all i can do is manage audio.  can someone please help me fix this issue. i have windows 7 64 bit installed on this pc. 

835 Posts

October 24th, 2012 10:00

Do you have an error code number?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 24th, 2012 12:00

I get a MTP device driver error when i plug in my android phone ...

it use to work just fine there Motorola software updated and now for some reason it wont let me use it i even uninstalled all there software i still get the MTP device driver error.

Frankly, a better place for this message is a Motorola phone or Android forum. There should also be some FAQs you can Google.

I got my Android Tablet connected via USB ... I don't remember it being that hard. However, the instructions might be different for your phone.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 24th, 2012 20:00

just talked to motorola they say its a windows issue with MTP drivers how do i fix it.

Ya, they just say that because they don't know ... and to get you off the phone (so they can take the next call) 

Like I said ... a Motorola or Android Forum ... Google is your friend:

Welcome to Android

You wanna know what's easier ?

Setup normal Windows shared folder on PC, and use:

Just use WiFi to connect the phone to the PC ...

On ES-FE ... switch to LAN and select your PC by IP address. You will see the Shared Folders.

And if this is for moving media files around ... due to the limited native internal memory of most of these Android devices ... it usually better to keep your media on the SD Card and leave the Internal Memory for OS and Apps ... just sayin.

353 Posts

October 24th, 2012 20:00

just talked to motorola they say its a windows issue with MTP drivers how do i fix it.

2.4K Posts

October 25th, 2012 02:00

I get a MTP device driver error when i plug in my android phone i get this error can someone help me please. it use to work just fine there Motorola software updated and now for some reason it wont let me use it i even uninstalled all there software i still get the MTP device driver error. it wont install for the USB device even though i have my phone set to usb mass storage device i get this error. if i switch the phone to windows media Connect it works but then i cant axsess the phone all i can do is manage audio.  can someone please help me fix this issue. i have windows 7 64 bit installed on this pc. 

Go to Devices and Printers in Windows and look for your phone. If you see it uninstall it. Then try using the phone again on a new USB port. This time only use the USE DEVICE AS DISK option and see if it gives you an error. If you do not see your phone then plug it back in, use the Device as Disk option and check the Device and Printers again. If you now see it then right click it and click troubleshoot. That should then bring up the option to install the driver. Click yes and let it do it's thing.

Don't set it up with bluetooth! Use the USB cable only!

2.4K Posts

October 25th, 2012 07:00

I'm thinking that the software left something behind. The phone should work as a Disk Device if nothing else.

Try this:

GO here and download CCleaner: www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Once you have it installed open it and on the left side click Registry. On the bottom left click the Scan button. Once done click the fix button. Click yes to save backup of Registry and then finish cleaning it.

Reboot and make sure you don't have any folders left over from the Motorola program you uninstalled.

Once done try the phone again in Disk Mode. If it's a no go still then head here and ask on their forums. I am 100% sure someone there can fix this

XDA Developers:http://www.xda-developers.com/

353 Posts

October 25th, 2012 07:00

:( saddly no go all i can think of now is its the stupid phone

353 Posts

October 25th, 2012 09:00

hey all i found a fix here not sure if its designed to work like this but hey everything works www.companionlink.com/.../Droid_Pro_(some_Motorola_phones)_do_not_mount_after_Android_Update

i have yet to try USB debugging mode  on the phone i dont want to mugger it up as its working i dont even now what usbd debugging is but i dotn care it works now weather it be out of design or not at least it works.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 25th, 2012 14:00

hey all i found a fix here not sure if its designed to work like this but hey everything works www.companionlink.com/.../Droid_Pro_(some_Motorola_phones)_do_not_mount_after_Android_Update

i have yet to try USB debugging mode  on the phone i dont want to mugger it up as its working i dont even now what usbd debugging is but i dotn care it works now weather it be out of design or not at least it works.

Good job.

Pretty easy and logical fix once you read it. Thanks for posting the fix ... I'm sure it will help others.

1 Message

November 30th, 2012 17:00

Error code 31 - Samsung MTP USB Driver not found.  My device manager on my work computer lists it as a modem (it works properly), while my home PC is calling it a portable device (driver installation failed.)

207 Posts

May 30th, 2013 09:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with the same or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.

No Events found!