Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 11th, 2010 10:00

Master I/O Board, other daughter cards, and cabling

We have the tear down videos and in the Service Manuals we have a picture of the MIO board and its ports. When you guys are looking at all the cabling, what else can we offer to assist you in verifying that they are correct? Describe in detail and I will forward the data to engineering. If you have examples of other product pictures that we could replicate, post those.

Dell customer care/service. If already out of warranty, click hereFind your Service Tag
DELL-Chris M
#IWork4Dell

2.4K Posts

November 11th, 2010 11:00

A wire diagram of the MIO board ATX 10 pin connector like the XPS systems had would really help.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 11th, 2010 19:00

Yes, I think a wiring diagram would be a big help to your customers and your support staff. The diagram should include connections to the MIO-Board, any secondary header boards, front panel, and the various devices (sensors, fans, lights, servo motors, etc). There needs to be one for the Aurora and the Area-51.

If you read the forums, machines are coming from the factory miss-wired and especially after field tech service call. More support time from Dell is required (phone or field service) or the customers post messages in this forum for help. We have to open our machines (if we happen to have their model) or guess. It's hard to help people correct this without a proper diagram. Your phone support and field techs would also benefit from such a diagram. I think once it is documented, most problems will go away because it will get done right the first time.

To cover all the bases, why not include all "Alien Technology" devices, cables, boards, panels, and connections. Some components can fit in multiple connectors, but ultimately only work in one place (either due to electronics or Command Center operation). There are also extra connectors for future expansion (which should remain un-used for now). It seems that the MIO-Board is only part of the Alien Tech. On the Aurora, there is also a secondary (Top Lighting) board with device connector headers (this is where a lot of the errors are lately). It doesn't need to include basic PC hardware. All that is like any other PC ... and the Service Manuals PDFs even show a lot of that. However, if a cable goes to the motherboard (for example), the exact MB header name should be documented.

The YouTube videos are nice but we need "Put Together" info. If we had a proper diagram, we could use that together with the existing Teardown Videos (just reversing steps) for the overall mechanical procedures.

Here are some suggestions for the actual diagram. It could be drawn for AXL models (with a notation next to ALX-only options or in a different color). More detailed than a block diagram ... so closer to a schematic. The various boards should be drawn so we can see how many pins and the form-factor on each header connector (this will aid in using the proper cable should the little paper labels come off). About the size/resolution of the MIO-Board pic in the current Service Manual. It could be multi-page. Components (light assemblies, servo motors, etc.) could be represented with standard symbols.

265 Posts

If you guys actually want to know a couple neat things about the Alienware Area 51 and the XPS 730x, I guess I will share them with you.

1. The XPS 730x actually uses the exact same motherboard as the Alienware Area 51. I noticed this the very moment I received my Area 51 as an exchange. I had both boards next to each other, and they were identical in every way except the chipset block (I had the H2C model). And I have even tested this on my friends system, by flashing the Alienware A08 BIOS to the XPS 730x, and it works without any problem what so ever. Kinda wierd how that works......And if you guys dont believe me, take a look at an XPS 730x motherboard, and then look at the Area 51's motherboard. The Area 51 V2.0 motherboard has different colored slots, but I believe its the same.

2. The MIO board wiring is actually the same for the power connector. If you look at the diagram, you can actually tell yourself, from just identifying the +5VSB cable (which is purple on all PSUs) and then the +12V cables which are yellow.. I am actually going to be testing my power supply inside my buddys 730x tomorrow to confirm it can power it up.

Here is the wiring diagram if you want to take a look:

http://www.deliran.net/refrence/XPS_730X/XPS_730X_eng/chassis_ps_p14.htm

I just thought these findings were a bit interesting.

Disclaimer - For those of you that read this who have an XPS 730x, I dont take any responsibility for damage caused to your system from flashing the BIOS with another machines BIOS. That is at your own discretion, and your liability.

Had to add that in there, because you never know.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

A wire diagram of the MIO board ATX 10 pin connector like the XPS systems had would really help.

Where is this XPS diagram?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 11th, 2010 20:00

Good info and cool website. However, I think they need to swap the descriptions. Isn't this correct (instead)? :

The P14 connector provides the Master I/O Board power.

http://www.deliran.net/refrence/XPS_730X/XPS_730X_eng/chassis_ps_p2.htm
The P2 (A) connector provides power to the processor.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 11th, 2010 20:00

... in the Service Manuals we have a picture of the MIO board and its ports.

Not sure what else is missing in the Area-51 MIO-Board pic, but where is the Power Connector ?

265 Posts

November 11th, 2010 22:00

Yes Tesla, you are correct. I remember that as well, because at one point I had called Dell to help me with the wiring (not a good idea) and the technician kept telling me that the 10 pin wire was P14, when it wasnt. At that point I just gave up with them and went on by myself.

The Area 51s MIO power connector is located at the back of the board, closest to the PSU.

2.4K Posts

November 12th, 2010 01:00

If you guys actually want to know a couple neat things about the Alienware Area 51 and the XPS 730x, I guess I will share them with you.

1. The XPS 730x actually uses the exact same motherboard as the Alienware Area 51. I noticed this the very moment I received my Area 51 as an exchange. I had both boards next to each other, and they were identical in every way except the chipset block (I had the H2C model). And I have even tested this on my friends system, by flashing the Alienware A08 BIOS to the XPS 730x, and it works without any problem what so ever. Kinda wierd how that works......And if you guys dont believe me, take a look at an XPS 730x motherboard, and then look at the Area 51's motherboard. The Area 51 V2.0 motherboard has different colored slots, but I believe its the same.

2. The MIO board wiring is actually the same for the power connector. If you look at the diagram, you can actually tell yourself, from just identifying the +5VSB cable (which is purple on all PSUs) and then the +12V cables which are yellow.. I am actually going to be testing my power supply inside my buddys 730x tomorrow to confirm it can power it up.

Here is the wiring diagram if you want to take a look:

I just thought these findings were a bit interesting.

Disclaimer - For those of you that read this who have an XPS 730x, I dont take any responsibility for damage caused to your system from flashing the BIOS with another machines BIOS. That is at your own discretion, and your liability.

Had to add that in there, because you never know.

The 10 pin aint the same. Just going by the color of the wires they are different from the XPS 730. I thought this a while back and made a post on it. They do not match.

Match the position on the wires on the Area 51 10 pin to the XPS and you can see. Now what you may be able to do is say hey this is purple and this is the volts for purple. I just don't wanta be the one to test it lol.

265 Posts

November 15th, 2010 08:00

Ok, so since I am a risk taker lol, I decided to test my PSU in my buddys XPS 730x, and to my surprise, it booted up the system without any problems. Lights came on, H2C was working, MIO board had the light on the board. Everything was 100%. I used the Alienware 1.2KW PSU.

So I do believe that the connectors on the MIO board are the same as the XPS 730/730x. And I also can verify this, because my old Alienware Area 51 with the 1KW PSU had the exact same PSU as the XPS 730x. The part number is U662D, Sso when I saw that, I definitely knew that the wiring had to be the same, or at least very similar.

Morblore, do you remember the 1KW on your XPS 730x? I think its the exact same part as the 1KW on the Alienware Area 51. I recognized it because I had to order one from Dell because I had screwed up the wiring back when I tried to mod it. LOL. It looked very much like it.

Also, if Chris can verify the part numbers on the Alienware Area 51 1KW and the XPS 730x 1KW, that would be great for future reference.

2.4K Posts

November 15th, 2010 09:00

Ok, so since I am a risk taker lol, I decided to test my PSU in my buddys XPS 730x, and to my surprise, it booted up the system without any problems. Lights came on, H2C was working, MIO board had the light on the board. Everything was 100%. I used the Alienware 1.2KW PSU.

So I do believe that the connectors on the MIO board are the same as the XPS 730/730x. And I also can verify this, because my old Alienware Area 51 with the 1KW PSU had the exact same PSU as the XPS 730x. The part number is U662D, Sso when I saw that, I definitely knew that the wiring had to be the same, or at least very similar.

Morblore, do you remember the 1KW on your XPS 730x? I think its the exact same part as the 1KW on the Alienware Area 51. I recognized it because I had to order one from Dell because I had screwed up the wiring back when I tried to mod it. LOL. It looked very much like it.

Also, if Chris can verify the part numbers on the Alienware Area 51 1KW and the XPS 730x 1KW, that would be great for future reference.

yeah the 1kw is the exact same one but like I said when I look at the 10 pin on this one and look at the diagram from the XPS it doesnt match. The colors are not the same. That is why I never tried it.

265 Posts

November 15th, 2010 10:00

Oh yea, I understand your point. When I looked at ALL the wires, and not just a few of them, I noticed that too, and I also didnt want to risk cutting my wires too.

But I used a method with less risk of damaging something, and got the results. I just basically pieced everything together from knowing they used the same PSU, to the same motherboard.

But at least we know now right? lol. I just wish they could use a standard molex cable..........I mean really.

49 Posts

November 17th, 2010 18:00

Did you try core i7 970 or 980X on XPS 730X motherboard(with A08 Alienware BIOS)?

I'm ready to try A08 on my 730X

Thanks

265 Posts

November 17th, 2010 19:00

No I didnt. But I would see no reason why it would not work, as some of the older BIOS of the Area 51 upgrade the CPU microcode.

My buddy and I tried this on his XPS 730x, which had the green PCIE slots (equivalent to the Alienware area 51 V1 motherboard.)

it should work, but again, it could mess up your motherboard too if for some reason your motherboard doesnt like the BIOS overriding the XPS bios. So I dont take any responsibility.

I would only attempt it if you have warranty on your XPS 730x, so you could have Dell replace the motherboard if something happens. If you have warranty, and want to attempt it, post back your results.

I am actually trying to get my hands on another XPS 730x so i can do more testing, like the CPU compatibility, and memory compatibility. Because the XPS 730x originally only supported a MAX of 6GB and the best CPU being the i7 965. So I wanted to see how it truly works out with other components.

49 Posts

November 24th, 2010 10:00

No I didnt. But I would see no reason why it would not work, as some of the older BIOS of the Area 51 upgrade the CPU microcode.

My buddy and I tried this on his XPS 730x, which had the green PCIE slots (equivalent to the Alienware area 51 V1 motherboard.)

it should work, but again, it could mess up your motherboard too if for some reason your motherboard doesnt like the BIOS overriding the XPS bios. So I dont take any responsibility.

I would only attempt it if you have warranty on your XPS 730x, so you could have Dell replace the motherboard if something happens. If you have warranty, and want to attempt it, post back your results.

I am actually trying to get my hands on another XPS 730x so i can do more testing, like the CPU compatibility, and memory compatibility. Because the XPS 730x originally only supported a MAX of 6GB and the best CPU being the i7 965. So I wanted to see how it truly works out with other components.

i tried last night but windows didn't let me flash it, what's version of your xps 730X motherboard? how do you flash it?

The reason that i bought Area-51 because it's capable of six core and nice case :-) but XPS 730X with x-view side panel is nice too but no six core

XPS 730X actually does supported 12GB of ram is it in my system now ( Mushkin 998969 12GB (3x4) DDR3 1600Mhz)

Thanks

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 9th, 2011 11:00

We have the tear down videos and in the Service Manuals we have a picture of the MIO board and its ports. When you guys are looking at all the cabling, what else can we offer to assist you in verifying that they are correct? Describe in detail and I will forward the data to engineering. If you have examples of other product pictures that we could replicate, post those.

Chris,

So what did you decide? Is any one working on this?

The other thing we need is a proper diagram (with pin numbers, signal names, 12v rail circuits, etc.) of the the power supplies and/or power supply wiring harnesses. This is supplied in the Service Manuals for all Dell machines I have every owned or worked on, but is mysteriously missing from all the Alienware machine docs. As power requirements for dedicated video cards increase, it's becoming increasing more difficult to troubleshoot video card (power related) shut-down problems.

The "dumbed-down" Technical Bulletin video card power connection charts do not adequately address this lack of info.

No Events found!