Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 17th, 2012 04:00

My Alienware m18x will not run autodesk maya

Hello peoples and dell users, how are you all going....

i am now starting a 3D modelling course and i am into character and enviromental modelling, so i have been using soem 3D modelling software.

But my recently purchased Alienware m18x will not work with a particular 3d software, and that is autodesk maya, i am having problems starting it up.

when i start it up it loads for a bit and then my screen blacks out and then i get a bubble message at the bottom of my screen sayign that my display driver stopped working and is now recovered, but after doing that my laptop displays everything darker until i reset it, i dont know why it is doing this. i have tried updating all my drivers especially for my cards and i have tried reintstalling the program, any ideas??? i need help, do i need to buy another laptop that works for 3D modelling???HELP???

My hardware specs:

-Windows 7 operating system home premium 64-bit english

-2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2760QM 2.4GHz (3.5GHz with Turbo Boost, 6MB Cache)

-16gb RAM DDR3 SDRAM

-Dual 2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon™ HD 6990M AMD CrossFireX™

i have installed the 64 bit version, i have been told that amd cards have always been a problem with this software and i have reinstalled it and all my hardware has been updated, i dont know what else to do HELP HELP HELP???

40 Posts

February 19th, 2012 21:00

If you have been told that AMD video cards have a problem with that software then you either need to switch to Nvidia cards or use the program on another computer that has Nvidia cards or use another program. This is a compatability issue with AMD video cards and that program.

6 Posts

February 21st, 2012 02:00

yeah i guess theres just no workaround for this issue, oh well. its good to know that you pay about $4000.00 on something only to find out that you have to pay another $2000.00 for just one program to work, thank god i had to money to buy another computer, and yes it had the nvidia gt540m cards in there, and runs quite well, i think amd sucks anyway, but my alienware is now my gamer/entertainment computer and my new qosimo with the gt540's will be my 3d modelling/work computer, end of story.

No Events found!