Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 30th, 2015 15:00

PCI fan says zero on an Aurora R4, but only at times.

I can go into the control center and the PCI fan will show zero % . The next time it may say 1450 RPM. No  real rhyme or reason why it changes. It may do that 2 or 3 times day or not for a week. Is there something that tells the PCI fan to turn on and off when needed for heat dissipation?. One fan is making a weird noise, but the temps seem to all be OK.

Thanks 

1 Rookie

• 

445 Posts

March 31st, 2015 11:00

Thanks for all your help, I will keep an eye on it.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 30th, 2015 15:00

Try setting a Manual-Curve. Make the minimum something other than 0 (like 5%). That will tell you if it's the control or just a communication problem (if comm. error ... it just shows 0 due to no data received).

1 Rookie

• 

445 Posts

March 30th, 2015 16:00

Thanks TESLA 1856. When I set it to manual @ 5%, the fan speed jumps to 1687 RPM and I can hear the fan speeding up, actually kind of loud.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 30th, 2015 23:00

Thanks TESLA 1856. When I set it to manual @ 5%, the fan speed jumps to 1687 RPM and I can hear the fan speeding up, actually kind of loud.

1687rpm for 5% sounds about right. Shouldn't really be loud though ... is it dirty?
Are you setting to Manual, then click the corner curve and set the Curve? It's just like Auto, but you can fine tune it. Set minimum at 3-5% for now ... then, it should never be 0.

1 Rookie

• 

445 Posts

March 31st, 2015 06:00

Thanks for the reply. No on the dirty, I try to clean out the case every month or two. No dogs or cats so no hair floating around.The liquid cooler was just changed by Alienware a few months ago and everything got a very good cleaning then. I wasn't using the curve at first, but am now and the fan is not noisy at all. Thanks again!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 31st, 2015 10:00

Sounds good and you are welcome.

So now, there is no legitimate reason for PCIe fan to be at Zero. Watch it like before. If you do see it at zero again, it's likely a hardware problem (but you can troubleshoot then further).

1 Rookie

• 

445 Posts

April 28th, 2015 22:00

Tesla 1856, you helped me with this problem about a month ago so here is a update. I was able to see the system fan manually at first, that also went to zero and a fan started changing speeds and noise levels. Called tech support, who got into my computer and was in there about an hour and 15 minutes, he or his supervisor couldn't figure it out so sent a tech to my house with a new MIO board ?? ( not sure if that's correct ) but its the board that controls all the fans as well as some other things. The tech also replaced all the fans that could be replaced, short of the fans on the motherboard. The weird fan noise was gone for a couple days, but now is back. I am sure it;s the fan right above the heatsink  that is attached to the motherboard. All the work he did never, did fix the zero reading on the system fan, it's now reads zero no matter if it's set to auto or manual. I have Goggled what to do next and what the problem may be and the closest thing I could find was a bad motherboard. That is getting a little scary as my warranty runs out on about 5 months. Any suggestions on what to do next would really be appreciated.

Thank you 

No Events found!