Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 23rd, 2010 10:00

[Poll] Dell & Alienware Customer Service

Leave your feedback...

[Poll]

468 Posts

February 28th, 2010 12:00

So i just saw the twitter feed for direct2dell and every other tweet is nothing but complaints.. when is dell actually going to do something about all their problems?  At least you get service when you tweet dell.. or so it seems..

63 Posts

March 1st, 2010 16:00

There are not enough choices to put it all into perspective.  Since you asked, I'm responding.  I usually stick to technical posts only.

I do a lot of work with Dell's Enterprise side, and they are very responsive and good.  Support for Servers, hardware, Engineering, are all excellent.

Consumer is a different story.

But even then, the type of customer service, as mentioned here, can also be different.  The forums here, Chris, and other Dell people have been very responsive and helpful.

I used to use the online chat feature, as it was a better experience over calling in.  However, they have gotten pretty bad lately.  I even have a log of one where the guy sent "v" followed by a long paragraph in response to a question.  My reply: "nice CTRL+V slip there", which it obviously was.  And oh is it.  It's like talking to an automated system, they don't seem to read what you say other than to pick out keywords and reply with a canned response.  I'd almost say it IS an automated system, but there are definitely mistakes like I mentioned, and misspelled words (although I supposed that could be done programmatically too).  My last encounter was a simple question: "My battery says it needs to be replaced, my laptop is under warranty, is the battery covered?"  He has me reinstall the BIOS (same version I was at), reset BIOS settings, reseat the battery, then after everything, told me it is not covered under warranty.  Why did he waste my time?  Particularly, why did I have to reinstall the same BIOS?

I don't think I need to say anything about phone customer service, just search and read what people say: they are all true.   Reading some complaints on here, especially ones where you think "that has to be exaggerated," any long time Dell customer reads that and nods in agreement saying "Been there, done that."  This includes me, and I consider myself a semi-happy Dell customer right now (if you aren't being jabbed in the eyes with rusty fish hooks, it's a good thing, right?)

In fact, recently I called about some dead pixels on a 2709 I have.  Saving you all the excruciating details, after the standard transfers and disconnects (the chat guy was no help, told me to call), I finally talk to someone who tells me "We do not have such big and powerful monitors here, we only deal with smaller ones, I need one minute to locate the manual".  This went back and forth, and he told me over 5 times how this monitor was "way too big for him to understand."  Of course he transfered me, and I couldn't take it.  I called under my business account, and it was handled immediately.  No transfers, no disconnects.  I got a customer survey as you guys mention, and I was honest.  The problem was it was aimed at a business customer.  So my rep called me the next day, and I explained that.

As for Alienware?  They are no more.  They are now just a logo and a brand that Dell owns.  I have an Alienware-branded Dell, and by the collection of issues on this Area-51 alone, I know it is a Dell.  I would love to talk to the Costa Rica guys, as everyone says they are great, but I have no idea how to contact them.

So if I break it down, here is how I rate Dell:

Enterprise:

• Sales/Marketing: Excellent
  • Hardware: Excellent
  • Technical Support: Excellent
  • Customer Service: Very Good

Consumer:

• Sales/Marketing: Excellent
  • Hardware: Good
  • Phone Technical Support: Worst Ever.
  • Phone Customer Service: Worse than Worst Ever.
  • Technical Support Forums (here): Very Good

68 Posts

March 1st, 2010 20:00

I 've had the worst experience with Alienware and my m17x... here are the issues

1. noise coming from m17x(all powerful) it was diagnosed as coming from optical drive.

2.optical drive was replace but technician left gashes in back of vent and another gash on LED panel.

3.(week later) everything on the screen starts turning orange.

4.(same week) one of the video cards is losing power forcing the other video card to over compensate and heat up(to the point where its hot to the touch)the keyboard.

5. the same noise from the first initial problem has came back.

So i called Alienware spent countless hours explaining the problem and letting them know that I'm at my wits in with this system and that i purchased complete care as well. All they said is that they will keep replacing part after part and will not replace the system. Not to mention the Dell technician that came to my house had never even seen that model laptop before. God knows what he did when he put it back together. Even if you have multiple problems on your system ALIENWARE WILL NOT REPLACE IT.they will Frankenstein your machine part after part. Finally I've giving up and I'm just going to send it back to alienware for repairs. BTW it took from 9:3am  until 5pm to finally get a dispatch # for them to send a return box to me and when i got the confirmation email my information was still wrong after i told several people the same info over and over again. i politely told the last alienware rep that i will never in my life buy another alienware system.

My Alienware rating is a F, they worked hard for it.

65 Posts

March 2nd, 2010 07:00

I give the following ratings:

"good" to Chris-M here and the technician who came to my house to replace the PSU,

"fair" to Del phone support,

"poor" to alienware phone support.

468 Posts

March 4th, 2010 11:00

As far as I've known, Dell and Alienware phone support are the same thing.. I dont think Dell seperated them when they bought Alienware up...

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

March 4th, 2010 11:00

Dell Support = 800-624-9896

Dell/Alienware Support = 800-254-3692

91 Posts

March 4th, 2010 13:00

yah. they are different. Alienware tech support is actually good. they are not out sourced to India. I think they are in Puerto Rico. I actually like them alot.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

March 5th, 2010 13:00

Rambler358,

It sounds like your definition of Gaming Gear differs from ours. I would not call this bait and switch. Gaming Gear is as follows -
Headsets
Gaming Mice
Gaming Controllers

526 Posts

March 5th, 2010 14:00

Rambler358,

It sounds like your definition of Gaming Gear differs from ours. I would not call this bait and switch. Gaming Gear is as follows -
Headsets
Gaming Mice
Gaming Controllers

Hi Chris.  I added the Alienware flyer coupon code to "My Coupons" under my Dell account, and it states "15% off Select Electronics and Accessories".  Also, the sales rep told me that certain monitors, TVs and other electronics do qualify.  So clearly there is misunderstanding as to what "Gaming Gear" really is.  Also the flyer's fine print states the coupon is not good on systems configured through the Online System Configurator, which to me means that it can apply to a system that I call in to order.  I did not see anywhere it stated that "Gaming Gear" was defined as only Headsets, Gaming Mice and Gaming Controllers.  To me, this seems like print that is intentionally vague which allows sales reps to interpret it however they want.  I stand by my original statements.

4 Posts

March 5th, 2010 14:00

Worst ever. My order was placed way back early December, and they've lost the order, had me reorder, cancelled that order on me, had me reorder AGAIN, suspiciously then FOUND my original order and tried to charge me for it even after I was assured by management I wouldn't be, cancelled and reordered my order AGAIN because of some problem with the dvd drives and assured me it would fix any delays I'd been having. 

It's now march. No laptop. Debating just calling it a day and getting my order permanently cancelled after hearing about the problems people are having and how horrible dell is to deal with even after you get it. 

91 Posts

March 5th, 2010 15:00

Rambler358, 

Headsets
Gaming Mice
Gaming Controllers

Hi Chris.  I added the Alienware flyer coupon code to "My Coupons" under my Dell account, and it states "15% off Select Electronics and Accessories".  Also, the sales rep told me that certain monitors, TVs and other electronics do qualify.  So clearly there is misunderstanding as to what "Gaming Gear" really is.  Also the flyer's fine print states the coupon is not good on systems configured through the Online System Configurator, which to me means that it can apply to a system that I call in to order.  I did not see anywhere it stated that "Gaming Gear" was defined as only Headsets, Gaming Mice and Gaming Controllers.  To me, this seems like print that is intentionally vague which allows sales reps to interpret it however they want.  I stand by my original statements.

thats totally makes a valid argument.

No Events found!