Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 16th, 2010 13:00

Possible to add expedited shipping service?

I called in regarding a recent order for an Aurora and I wanted to check when it would be shipping and if I could add expedited shipping service. The phone rep initially told me it was "in transit" and that I would be getting a tracking number in 1 or 2 days. Then she put me on hold to ask her manager something and when she came back, she instead told me my order was "in production" and would be delivered by the 23rd. That's all fine and dandy because that is exactly what the website is telling me. Although I do have some questions about the accuracy of the website data as my last order would change status from "in production" to delayed but ended up being delivered a few days earlier, which was unexpected and I was not home to receive it.

Nevertheless, I asked if I could add expedited shipping to my order, seeing as it is still "in production" (or is it actually "in transit" as she had first told me?? who knows...). She transferred me to someone else to get the added shipping service. This second person was slightly rude like she was having a conversation with someone else. I had to repeat my address and phone number twice. I gave her my address and phone number the first time and all she said was something like, "No, I need your address and phone number!" in an annoyed tone of voice. Ummm... ok.

She then asked what I wanted. Umm, as I told her right at the start of the call, I wanted to see if I could add expedited shipping. She said I could not change the order in any way since the order is "in production." I asked her again if that includes changes to shipping and she repeated the line again verbatim.

So, is this really true? There is no way to add expedited shipping even if the order is "in production" and has apparently not been shipped yet? That seems strange to me since it should be easy just to upgrade the shipping level for an order that has not yet been shipped (or is it "in transit" as the first rep told me at the very beginning??). Is all of this shipping limitations and confusion normal?

166 Posts

September 16th, 2010 15:00

Yes it is confusing...

And Dell has changed their policy regarding orders " in production".

A couple of years ago you could have changed hardware ( CPU,GPU etc) while it was " in production"... not anymore. ( I had my old 410 changed 2x in production and it still shipped on time)

Things are different now with all the outsourcing of support, building, shipping.

And yes I find most of them pretty rude....I usually hang up and hopefully find someone who's not having a bad day.

Finally it would seem simple to change shipping since that has nothing to do with production.

Of course when I got my 410 ...I got it 5 days after ordering it . ( Overnight shipping )

Those were the days....'sigh'

My Aurora will be the last rig I order from Dell...The things that made it such a sure buy are quickly disappearing ( Especially with the out sourcing of tech support )

3 Posts

September 16th, 2010 17:00

Thanks for the reply. I actually ordered from Dell a few months ago and the website only provided me with the tracking number the morning it was delivered! I checked the night before and nothing. Then the next morning, being OCD, I checked it again before I was leaving for work and sometime during those 8 hours of sleep and morning shower, I had apparently been issued a tracking number and a delivery was already attempted by FedEx, which I apparently missed! The last time I ordered from Dell prior to this was like 4 years ago when I too got an XPS 410 ! I don't remember it being this confusing/problematic.

I guess I am just concerned that their website isn't totally reliable when it comes to notifying you about shipping. I'm afraid I'm going to miss the delivery again by not having the tracking number sent to me in a timely manner (e.g., at least 1 day before a delivery attempt perhaps!?). And being extremely antsy (LOL), I thought it would be an easy things to just call in for faster shipping.............

19 Posts

September 16th, 2010 23:00

I ran into a really rude rep from India(?) I think, when I called in about an issue with my Inspiron laptop. He spent over an hour trying to talk me into buying an extended warranty for it. Wouldnt take no for answer. I decidedly got the impression that he felt I was a stupid female who didnt realize the male always knows better in these situations. After an hour of being put on hold or being asked over and over if I wanted to buy the warranty in a rude and condecending manner, I got about 10 minutes worth of my issue being dealt with. This is of course with the usual having to be on hold and being bounced around to various reps before I was transferred finally to the rude guy who handled my issue after having to get a bit nasty with him. I was so upset over the call I called back in the next day to complain to a supervisor. Just wish I had written the rep's name down so I could have made a more detailed complaint.

Anyway I'm in the same boat on the delivery from Dell. My m17x is showing a delivery date of 9/17 (with next day shipping) but still in production today 9/16. *sigh* I used a vacation day for tomorrow too, so I could be sure to be home to sign for it. *headdesk*

No Events found!