Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 3rd, 2014 03:00

Problems with my Alienware 17

Hello there everyone!

I got my new laptop for a few days ago (3 days ago to be exact)
I installed it the way you are supposed to do but now it seems like I have some problems.
The laptop I have is a Alienware 17 with basically the best things you can have inside of it. It cost me A LOT of money.
So I am really annoyed that it's not working properly.

The problems I have are as following:
The computer is really slow on start up. I usually have to start it up twice because the first time it freezes on the "Alienware" start up screen. When I manage to get to the log in screen it's freezed for maybe 5 seconds and then I can log in.

Second problem is that, when I am on my computer, playing games and surfing on the internet all of a sudden the computer just freeze. And I can't do anything for a like 10-15 seconds and then it starts again. This happens quite frequently. It is really annyoing because I don't want to have problems like this. Also when the computer freeze it says "not responding" on the webpage for example. And the game just is completely frozen, not able to tab down, press control alt delete or anything, nothing works until it unfreezs intself after around 10-15 seconds.

The third problem is something I have absolutely no idea what it is. So I got this program Intel Rapid storage thingie. When I started my computer for the first time it was a big "X" over the intel rapid icon down in the bottom right corner on the icon menu. So I pressed it and it seems that something is wrong with my SATA array 0000. With the port 1. It says that it has stopped working.
So I pressed it and then I changed it to "normal" and I guess that means I am just ignoring the problem. But it gave me a cute little green check mark over it. But now on the third day, that X is back and it says that the SATA is not working properly again, or at least that port 1.

Please please I need help! I paid so much money for this computer to be able to make sure it works probperly and for a few years to come!

IF you want any specific information about my system, please feel free to ask.

Thanks in advancve for the answerws!

Best Wishes
Kalle / Lillbengan

1.8K Posts

April 3rd, 2014 17:00

If it's the first screen you see when you turn on the computer, that's the screen where you need to press F12, the one on the video is for an older model but it's the same procedure to access the BIOS or Boot Manager. You can start tapping F12 from the moment the system turns on, just in case. 

14 Posts

Thanks for the reply again!

I did press it repeatedly. My Alienware loading screen in my windows 8.1 doesn't look like that.

It is just small white dots going around in a circle under then name "Alienware"

Nothing down in the bottom that says "f2 setup" and under it "f12 boot optionns"

Thanks.

1.8K Posts

Remember you have to press the F12 key repeatedly at the Alienware loading screen to be able to access the Boot Manager. Check this video for clearer  instructions.

1.8K Posts

Hi!

First, run a ePSA diagnostic to check for hardware errors.

The problem might also be the Operating System. I need to know if when you first received the computer you re-installed the OS or any of the drivers?

14 Posts

Hello Naomi. So I was trying to follow the ePSA guide to access bios. But I can't access it for some reason.

I am turning my computer off and pressing f12, but nothing happens, I go straight to the log in screen.

Not sure what you mean with the last qeustion?

When I got my computer and plugged it in and then I started the computer and followed the steps.

When I started to notice the problems I downloaded and installed newer version of the BIOS that were recommended on dell support page. and also newer version of my nvidia drivers. But I am still having the problems.

Sometimes it's less, sometimes it's more.

Everytime i start my computer and I need to start it twice because it freezes itself in the alienware loading screen and won't go off.

1.8K Posts

April 3rd, 2014 19:00

Let's try the AlienAutopsy test and check if the BIOS (press F2 at start-up) detects your HDD.

14 Posts

Okay hello again!

I manage to get into the BIOS and I did the ePSA as you told me to. It took a while and after that it said "no problems detected" and then it asked me to do a further scan. I pressed "Yes" because it said it was recommended and it got till about 93% and then it frooze.

Nearly everything got checked with a big green icon on the left panel but my harddrive 0 and 1.

What to do now?

14 Posts

It didn't freeze as I couldn't do anything but it was staying on 93% for nearly an hour so I pressed escape and try to scan hard drive 0 - 1 seperately and then it got stuck at 10% and some white text is flashing above the % bar every other minute or so.

14 Posts

April 4th, 2014 03:00

Okay so I tried AlienAutopsy. When I started the program it said "searching for problems" Under my Name and the name of my computer on the left side. After like 5 seconds the program freezes and I can't do anything with it. I tried to go into the program to do a check up but it doesn't let me.

I also did the f2 in the BIOS and I am not really high tech on computer so I wrote down what I saw about the HDD.

following:

Fixed hhd
SATA ODD
Second HDD
M-SATA (But it didn't say anything about SSD there. Just the SATA 80g)
Third HDD

What to do next? It is really annoying because I spent <ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU>loads of money and it's killing me that it's not working properly.

Thanks in advance!
Karl

6 Posts

April 4th, 2014 11:00

Hey, guys i am sort of having the same exact problem. i called dell, and they lead me to clean instal it. havent tried it out yet. will give an update soon. wondering if anyone figured this out yet?

14 Posts

April 4th, 2014 11:00

Hey!

By clean install it you mean reinstall?

I haven't tried that out yet. Might have to do that If I can't solve it!

Also I got a wildstar BETA key today. and I am playing it on the best graphics and I got like 15-20 FPS which is completely worthless and annoying. With the stuff that I have in my computer  should be on a stable 60 fps all the time.

14 Posts

April 4th, 2014 13:00

Okay, so just reboot the computer with alienrespawn?

If the problem still accour, what should I do? Call Dell to get a new computer?

14 Posts

And also, is there any guide on how to do it? So I can read it before. Because I am quite new and I don't want to do something wrong!

Thanks for all the help NAomi!

1.8K Posts

The link I posted has the step by step instructions and a video.

1.8K Posts

The OS re-installation was going to be my next suggestion cause it seems this is a software issue. You can try AlienRespawn instead, that way you don't have to re-install everything from scratch. 

No Events found!