Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 26th, 2010 02:00

Question About AlienRespawn

Well, I do know how AlienRespawn works, but I have a further question about it.

I have 3 partitions In my Alienware laptop:

1) Recovery partition (AlienRespawn)

2) Windows 7 partition

3) Data partition - I created it myself.

If I use AlienRespawn, I know that it will restore a computer back to its original factory configuration, meaning that it will restore the Windows 7 partition to its original factory configuration. What about Data partition? Will AlienRespawn erase Data partition? Or, it will not affect the Data partition?

64 Posts

October 26th, 2010 04:00

u will no longer be able to use alienrespawn to factory-reset after u repartition your disk.

ergo, question doesnt exist.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 26th, 2010 13:00

It doesn't matter what anyone says...

You have to backup the Data partition or you risk losing it forever ... it's your choice.

No matter how it's "suppose to work" when you are changing or overwriting partitions, you always risk losing all partitions or data on the disk.

Just back it up and move forward.

October 27th, 2010 01:00

Oops, I should stated my partitions more clearly:

1) Recovery partition (AlienRespawn) - This partition is untouched and unmodified, so it is in its original factory configuration.

2) Windows 7 partition

- In its original factory configuration, this partition is larger. So, in Disk Management, I shrunk its size, thus creating unallocated free space.

3) Data partition

- This partition was created from the unallocated free space created earlier.

In short, I did not tamper the Recovery partition. Of course, I do backup the data partition in another external hard disk. I am just wondering how AlienRespawn works. I am afraid that if I do use AlienRespawn, it will format the entire hard disk, instead of just the Windows 7 partition. If so, it would be a hassle to recopy everything back to the Data partition.

Second question: From http://alwchecker.alienrespawn.com/alwchecker-en.html, I have downloaded the DSLCheck.exe. Then again, when I ran it, it states that my laptop does not have Windows Recovery Environment, thus I can't download AlienRespawn software. Again, I did not mess with Recovery partition. Thus, how should I download AlienRespawn software?

64 Posts

October 27th, 2010 18:00

It does format the entire hard disk, and then reinstall everything to its orginal position.

...[laptop does not have Windows Recovery Environment] = the checker cannot find the recovery partition, its either corrupted or ?????....

There a GOOD chance that the windows installation re-allocated the space on the partition when it install, I can tell you that It happens because It happened in one of my 50+ attempt in cloning the recovery partition discussed in other thread. Post installation, the originally 8.51GB recovery partition expanded into a 13.6GB partition.

Since I'm doing all of this on the cloned disk, so obviously my original disk was fine....

As I said eariler, ONCE the partitions are re-allocated, the recovery partition is no longer usable. 

Hope this cleans up your question, good luck!

October 29th, 2010 08:00

Oh, I get the point. Is there any way that I can retrieve the factory image inside the Recovery partition? I have tried unchecked the "Hide protected operating system files" in Folder Option, but it did not work. If by all means it cannot be done, I might as well delete the Recovery partition, since I cannot use, or even see it.

Can anyone explain why DSLCheck.exe (downloaded from http://alwchecker.alienrespawn.com/alwchecker-en.html) works in a different way? Why can't a direct link to download AlienRespawn be given? I understand that I may not be able to install and use AlienRespawn in my laptop, but it will not hurt if I can download and keep the installer of AlienRespawn.

64 Posts

November 3rd, 2010 22:00

removed

64 Posts

removed

64 Posts

you can copy it, but somehow it just wont work. DSL wont work unless it can locate the partition. 

There are cases where even if u format the C drive and reinstall windows, the partition becomes unaccessible. be warned.

501 Posts

November 4th, 2010 02:00

<< There are cases where even if u format the C drive and reinstall windows, the partition becomes unaccessible. be warned. >>

That's news to me. Are you sure it's not because the new partition has not been quick formatted?
I had to reinstall Windows after Partition Manager killed my new M17x. During the reinstall I specified the 2nd partition in Windows 7 setup. Once it had completed the partition was visible but inaccessible. Right clicking on the partition letter and selecting Quick Format instantly made it both accessibleand writable.

November 5th, 2010 06:00

Do you mean that these steps are to be performed when you select which partition the Windows is installed in? Just before Windows installation commences? Then again, if quick format is selected, shouldn't the Recovery Partition be formated and rendered useless? If so, how are we going to use AlienRespawn? Please advise. Thank you.

No Events found!