Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 19th, 2012 13:00

SATA Port version question

All,

While assembling my Alienware Aurora ALX, Processor Intel core i7, Intel X58 Express around a new MB I noticed Red Sata port.

I was thinking of getting SSD and cable as my next project but not quite sure which one. I did some research and seems like the red refers to SATA two but should I invest to some higher number of SATA to get more buck out of the setup?

Also, to be totally honest I have not got a clue just how much benefit these SSD drives gives in gaming.

My other question was around RAM, should one buy same sticks or have a combination of different sizes and MHz?

Regards,

rob

2 Intern

• 

835 Posts

November 20th, 2012 12:00

Hello Rufus76,

That Red SATA port is actually an eSATA port, for external HDDs.

A SSD will improve the system's general performance, in the sense that it will load the Operating system, games and applications a lot faster. But you will not see improve during game play, that depends mostly on the graphics card.

About the RAM, the size and speed (MHz) of the sticks should always be the same. For example, the Aurora R1 supports up to 24GB of ram at 1333 MHz and it has six slots, so the recommended configuration in that case would be 6 sticks of 4GB @1333 MHz each.

I hope I answered all your questions, if you need anything else, post here and I'll be glad to assist you.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 20th, 2012 13:00

Put the SSD on one of the Intel x58 SATA-II ports ... 4 HDD bays or 2 optical bays.

The on-board eSata ports (back-one and that red-one) are connected to a different SIL eSata controller.

No Events found!