Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 6th, 2016 23:00

SSD OS to bigger SSD Cloning Failed!

I used EaseUS free trial to clone the OS to a bigger drive. It failed and now I can't boot at all.

I tried Microsoft's Data Creation Tool, it failed.

I ran Dell's diagnostic via USB but it fails to locate the diagnostic module and quits.

What next?

3 Posts

November 7th, 2016 11:00

ummmmm did you put your old drive back in? I mean you tried to make a clone that failed....use the original..

also...use marcium reflect to clone, its free. Cloning can fail, as with clonzilla....put your original drive back in and use it....make sure you hit f12 to set your boot option to the correct drive. Make sure your if you have a ssd as the original OS and your new one was not ssd....you have to change the bios settings for that....you will have to google it, im not gonna describe the whole thing

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 6th, 2016 23:00

This isn't EaseUS support forum. Maybe try over there.

However, I've never heard of the source drive in a cloning procedure being damaged (since its just read from) ... unless you did something wrong.

As I mentioned in your other thread, I use Macrium Reflect instead.

314 Posts

November 7th, 2016 07:00

i remember cloning with samsung magician with my Samsung Evo 850 500gb, very easy. What is your ssd brand?

12 Posts

November 7th, 2016 16:00

"i remember cloning with samsung magician with my Samsung Evo 850 500gb, very easy. What is your ssd brand?"

SanDisk (WD). I didn't think to go there 1st. Too late now.

12 Posts

I did try Macrium and several others but they all failed one way or another. Macrium failed to burn DVD properly. I've made several dvds & usbs not knowing if they burned right. Some work some don't. I'm using an HP Windows 7 system to do all this on, but that shouldn't matter.

12 Posts

"ummmmm did you put your old drive back in? I mean you tried to make a clone that failed....use the original..

also...use marcium reflect to clone, its free. Cloning can fail, as with clonzilla....put your original drive back in and use it....make sure you hit f12 to set your boot option to the correct drive. Make sure your if you have a ssd as the original OS and your new one was not ssd....you have to change the bios settings for that....you will have to google it, im not gonna describe the whole thing"

Of course. When I said "failed" I meant totally failed. I've tried all configurations I can think of and still get the blue screen stop code "Inaccessible Boot Device".

I can get it to boot DOS from USB but for some reason it won't boot an image.iso from USB.

13 Posts

November 13th, 2016 20:00

Did you get any error?

You have to clone both system drive and system reserved partition to the bigger drive.

12 Posts

November 14th, 2016 01:00

It's now at the local repair shop. All the data appears to still be there so they'll get it sorted out.

12 Posts

November 19th, 2016 05:00

I got it back yesterday working but things are different.

Originally the main drive was Dynamic. The repair shop changed it to Basic they said because it cannot boot from a dynamic disk. Not totally true as it worked fine before the cloning attempt. So now I no longer have UEFI, only Legacy booting.

They also set up the system reserved (system, active) partition on disk 1 while the OS (boot, page file) sits on disk 2. (huh???) It works but I am not happy with it.

One source says you cannot clone a dynamic drive which may be the reason it failed.

How much to send it back to Dell and get fixed to original specs?

12 Posts

November 19th, 2016 23:00

Just spent 3+ hours with paid Dell support to get it back to normal. Thanks Dell!!! There's still a few issues but those are windows 10 bugs.

I'm closing this case.

No Events found!