Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 14th, 2016 01:00

Upgrading Aurora r3 Video card 580 to 970 power connectors questions

Hi all, was looking at upgrading my Aurora r3 from 580 to 970 card.

Here are my specs.       Aurora R3 circa 2011

CPU etc are

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz

Clock Speed

3.4Ghz

L2 Cache Size

Memory

Available Memory

79.00 %

Page File Size

19,309.6MB

Available Page File

99.62 %

Virtual Memory

19,309.6MB

Available Virtual Memory

80.84 %

DIMM0

4,096.0MB

DIMM1

4,096.0MB

DIMM2

4,096.0MB

DIMM3

4,096.0MB

New card

GIGABYTE N970WF3OC-4GD GEFORCE GTX 970 WINDFORCE OVERCLOCKED

I have seen other posts about this and other's seem to have been able to do it, but looking at the pictures of the 970, where the 7 pin power plugs into card, the pins in the actual card's socket at set differently, they are not centre like the 580. Are al 970's like this or is it just a certain brand of them?  See images.

Is the adaptor I can get to get power plugs for it compatible?

New card

GIGABYTE N970WF3OC-4GD GEFORCE GTX 970 WINDFORCE OVERCLOCKED

I have seen other posts about this and other's seem to have been able to do it, but looking at the pictures of the 970, where the 7 pin power plugs into card, the pins in the actual card's socket at set differently, they are not centre like the 580. Are al 970's like this or is it just a certain brand of them?  See images.

Is the an adaptor I can get to get power plugs for it compataitle?

Thanks

Phil

Pictures of each below

580 is first

GTX 580.JPG

5315.GTX 970.jpg

97 Posts

January 2nd, 2017 19:00

Hi again, well I didn't need to do that, what I worked out was the plugs had to go other way around

What is saying, sometimes the obvious if it was any closer it would bite you.

First video card I have come across like that, have a XPS 730 and sold recently a 710, what my son used, all the Nvidia cards in those plugs all went same way.

Anyway thanks for help and hopefully what I have posted here helps someone else if they ever come across same issue.

Cheers

Phil

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 14th, 2016 13:00

They look the same to me. On each card, one is a 6-pinner, one is an 8-pinner. Never use power cable adapters unless you really know what you are doing and are willing to suffer the consequences. [:'(]

Watch out for this (my standard notes for users upgrading video cards on Aurora-R3.

=====================================

It should work if you have 875w PowerSupply, and it has the proper-pinned power-plugs natively.

Since it's Aurora-R3 you better get one with a Dual-BIOS switch that supports both Legacy and UEFI Hybrid.

Aurora R3 is maybe just EFI (not true uEFI) so it can't decide which it needs. Save yourself a lot of trouble and get one with a switch on the video-card.

Reportedly, some newer MSI & Sapphire cards have the switch. It was mostly reported/focused around AMD cards, so not sure if NVidia cards display the same issues.

You might have to un-snap and remove the Aurora's plastic video-card air guide if new card exhausts into case.

I also have this from my notes that someone wrote:

Just wanted to say that the R9 380 does work. But you have to buy a hybrid BIOS graphic-card like "Sapphire R9 380 Nitro". The Sapphire cards are able to switch the BIOS boot from UEFI to legacy BIOS. There is a small "switch" at the corner of the card you can use. It works fine without any issues.

97 Posts

December 18th, 2016 01:00

Hi Telsa 1865

No sadly if you look closely at the pins inside sockets,. They are not, the pins  for 970 Gigabtye brand are set more to the side of the sockets unlike the 580.

Now if I got one of these 970's by Asus or another one, as this R3 owner shows in his video, plugs would be fine. Didn't expect this slight difference. Different manf I guess., you tube link I didn't bookmark sadly,

Guess I go for one not by Gigabtye, unless I can find a workaround.

Cheers

Phil

97 Posts

December 18th, 2016 01:00

Hi Telsa 1865

No sadly if you look closely at the pins inside sockets,. They are not, the pins  for 970 Gigabtye brand are set more to the side of the sockets unlike the 580.

Now if I got one of these 970's by Asus or another one, as this R3 owner shows in his video, plugs would be fine. Didn't expect this slight difference. Different manf I guess., you tube link I didn't bookmark sadly,

Guess I go for one not by Gigabtye, unless I can find a workaround.

Cheeers

Phil

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 18th, 2016 12:00

While not ideal, I'm not sure that is truly a problem.

On the Aurora, if you hold the 8-pinner and wiggle the wires, you will see the pins move a bit. Use that to your advantage and get the connector fully seated.

If that doesn't work, you might have to bend the card's pins (very carefully) with needle-nose pliers.

One of those two procedures will work.

Only other choice is to return the card ... but it IS THE RIGHT ONE.

97 Posts

December 18th, 2016 23:00

Hi again and thanks for reply

Now why didn't I think of that,!

That should work, good stuff thanks Mate

Phil

No Events found!