Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 29th, 2013 19:00

Video Bios

My graphics card, ATI 6870M died. I had someone install a GTX 580M, and the computer seems to switch the graphics while I am playing a game. I have heard about a video bios, is that what I need to upgrade to make my computer fully recognize my graphics card? 

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

April 30th, 2013 08:00

Hi smast002,

AMD provides Switchable Graphics feature and NVidia provides Optimus Technology that switches the graphics processing between the integrated and discrete cards. They are not interchangeable. You will have to replace the graphics card from the same manufacturer for the switchable graphics to work (AMD in this case.)

Please let me know if you need further information.

2 Intern

• 

835 Posts

April 30th, 2013 16:00

@Dell-Rajath N, the switchable graphics feature is not controlled by the motherboard, so it really doesn't matter if the brand of the graphics card is changed.

@smast002, when you put a new graphics card in the system, you need to make sure you follow these steps:

1. Uninstall all drivers from the previous graphics card (make sure you get rid of every single file in the system for the previous graphics card)

2. Install the new Graphics card.

3. Install drivers for the new graphics card.

4. update the Video BIOS

5. update the system BIOS

What's the model of your system? so I can help you find the downloads.

3 Posts

April 30th, 2013 17:00

I have the alienware m17x r3, I am going to reformat my computer so I will basically getting my computer running again.

No Events found!