Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 27th, 2016 11:00

Which Alienware PC to buy for gaming?

Hi I want to buy a new laptop to play Steam games like heros and generals as well as for general use. What is the minimum RAM and minimum memory on the NVDIA graphics card that I can buy and still have quick response/load times? Dell support says 8 MB RAM and 2 GB video card, but I want the opinion of the forum also.  Thanks!

412 Posts

April 28th, 2016 12:00

Hey mstch,

There's a few factors that goes into this decision. What size screen would you like to have? If size isn't a factor, is maximum resolution (some screens only do 720p while larger ones will get upwards of 4K)?

To minimize load times you'll want an SSD. The nVidia GTX960M that is the minimum in the current Alienware systems will handle Heroes and Generals in 1080p fine (high 50s-low 60s in average FPS) with all the bells & whistles, based off the benchmarks I could find.

8GB will probably do you fine, but upgrade to 16GB if you want to do a little "future proofing." That being said you can add RAM later to your system (so start with 8GB & upgrade to 16GB later on).

Hope this helps!

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

April 28th, 2016 18:00

Another thing you can try is the Alienware Alpha.  It has an overclocked Nvidia GTX 860m with 2GB Vram.  Also the newer ones have a 1TB 7200rpm HDD.  I'm not sure about the game you mentioned because I can't play FPS games but you can always go on the Alienware site and take a look.  Its going to be the cheapest Alienware available.  

1 Message

April 28th, 2016 20:00

I received my fully loaded Alienware 17 after waiting for three weeks.  It's a brick right out of the box.  Dell support asked me to patiently wait three weeks for a replacement.  Consider that before you make your purchase. 

No Events found!