Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 16th, 2013 06:00

alienware 14 overheating please HELP!!!!!

I just got my new alienware 14 yesterday and I played some games on it bf3 skyrim mw2 on normal settings and the laptop overheats in about half an hour I puted the laptop on balanced battery performance and still it keeps SHUTTING DOWN RANDOMLY

6 Posts

August 16th, 2013 08:00

There are a few things you can try:

-Update your drivers to the latest version

Nvidia Cards:www.nvidia.co.uk/.../Find.aspx

AMD Cards:support.amd.com/.../index.aspx

-Are the fans spinning up properly/full speed?

-Is there hot air comming out of the fan outlets?

-This thing should be covered by your warranty, inform tech support about this issue.

August 16th, 2013 10:00

Hi Fuzzy_q8,

Where do you have this computer sitting when you are gaming? Our suggestion is for Alienware laptops to be sitting on a flat surface. Download the CPU HW Monitor to monitor the highest temps.

Checkout this article on overheating issues.

Also, for a better performance, we recommend the high performance profile under power settings.

Let me know how everything goes.

1 Message

May 26th, 2016 18:00

I am having a similar problem, except mine luckily is not shutting down randomly.  It tends to get very hot, and runs quite slow, especially on games such as Minecraft, which it normally runs very smoothly.  This typically happens during the hottest months of the year, which this year started in late May.  I'm forced to run a cooling pad underneath it, which alleviates the problem somewhat.  Mine is indeed a genuine unmodified Alienware 14 laptop, though unfortunately it is no longer under warranty as it is quite a few years old.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 26th, 2016 22:00

I am having a similar problem, except mine luckily is not shutting down randomly.  It tends to get very hot, and runs quite slow, especially on games such as Minecraft, which it normally runs very smoothly.  This typically happens during the hottest months of the year, which this year started in late May.  I'm forced to run a cooling pad underneath it, which alleviates the problem somewhat.  Mine is indeed a genuine unmodified Alienware 14 laptop, though unfortunately it is no longer under warranty as it is quite a few years old.

Clean heat-sinks and fins . Open unit and blow with air-compressor from inside out. Check fans while you are in there.

If problem continues, you might have to re-thermal-paste heat-sinks. You should seek professional computer technician help if you are not up to the task yourself.

No Events found!