Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 2nd, 2013 03:00

bios upgrade

I currently have bios A05 can I upgrade to A012 or do I need to got t Ao7 first ? and the big question specifically how do I do an upgrade

Cheers

3.1K Posts

April 2nd, 2013 03:00

Hi Brain twist,

I checked the previous versions of BIOS for Alienware X51 system. A07 can only be flashed with A06 version, whereas A11 requires A07 version.

However, A12 version's installation instructions do not have any such instructions. You can try to update the BIOS to A12 directly.

Before updating BIOS, please ensure that: 

*The computer has power source connected.
*No external devices (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) should be connected.
*All other programs should be closed and documents saved.

• Click on the link http://dell.to/YsD8tA
  • Click on ‘Download File’
  • Check on the radio box ‘Single-file download’
  • Click ‘Continue’
  • Click ‘Save’
  • Choose the location as desktop, save the file on the desktop
  • Right click and choose ‘Run as Administrator’
  • Follow the on-screen instructions to install the program
  • Restart the computer

Please reply if you have any questions.

2.4K Posts

April 2nd, 2013 12:00

Hi Brain twist,

I checked the previous versions of BIOS for Alienware X51 system. A07 can only be flashed with A06 version, whereas A11 requires A07 version.

However, A12 version's installation instructions do not have any such instructions. You can try to update the BIOS to A12 directly.

Before updating BIOS, please ensure that: 

*The computer has power source connected.
*No external devices (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) should be connected.
*All other programs should be closed and documents saved.

• Click on the link http://dell.to/YsD8tA
  • Click on ‘Download File’
  • Check on the radio box ‘Single-file download’
  • Click ‘Continue’
  • Click ‘Save’
  • Choose the location as desktop, save the file on the desktop
  • Right click and choose ‘Run as Administrator’
  • Follow the on-screen instructions to install the program
  • Restart the computer

Please reply if you have any questions.

Will going straight to BIOS version A12 still have all the updates from the previous BIOS versions or is the only way to get them is to do each BIOS update in succession?

3.1K Posts

April 5th, 2013 07:00

Hi Morblore,

BIOS updates are incremental and some times, a previous version has to be installed to update BIOS to the latest version. To install A11 version, A07 has to be installed. You may check the same on the link http://dell.to/YXlpKb under Important Information. For A12 version, it does have any such instructions. So, it should have all the necessary updates.

However, it is always advisable that BIOS should be updated whenever there is an update. The idle way could be to gradually move to the latest version A06 to A07 to A11 and so on.

1 Message

August 16th, 2014 17:00

Hi Brian,

I have an Alienware Aurora R3 that has Bios version A06. The Dell driver seach engine tells mee I need to upgrade to A11 but the install always fails to complete when the system reboots to apply the ver A11.

My computer codes are  Service tag removed per privacy policy>
and Express service code removed per privacy policy>

Is there a newer bios for my computer than A06?

• 

2.7K Posts

August 18th, 2014 11:00

Hi Brian,

I have an Alienware Aurora R3 that has Bios version A06. The Dell driver seach engine tells mee I need to upgrade to A11 but the install always fails to complete when the system reboots to apply the ver A11.

My computer codes are  Service tag removed per privacy policy>
and Express service code removed per privacy policy>

Is there a newer bios for my computer than A06?

Hello Lvlender!

Actually I was checking for updates and I didn't find any for the Aurora R3 Bios, the lasted one is the A06 so you should be fine. 

No Events found!