Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 12th, 2012 14:00

one rear usb port problem

hello I have monitored the voltage (I read now that HWMonitor is not accurate), since I have a problem with a USB port, disconnect and reconnect in random, I did all the tests, I try other devices, but I do not understand, the port only work when I plug an unplug for many time usb cable, after work for 1/2 hours and and then disconnects.. but what can be???

245 Posts

June 13th, 2012 00:00

do all devices plugged into that port disconnect after 1/2 hour?  Do the other usb ports function ok?

43 Posts

June 13th, 2012 04:00

other ports are working normally, but if I use mouse keyboard or other USB devices at random on that port are disconnected, and for some time, the port does not work then just connect and reconnect several times the usb plug and go back to work

I thought it was something related to the temperature, but if the port does not work anymore even if I turn off the computer and let it cool down the port does not work, I have to connect and disconnect  to make it work

What can be

159 Posts

June 13th, 2012 06:00

Just my 2 cents....Some USB ports have a power management option.  Go to device manager and check the USB section.  Uncheck the option to turn device off to save power.  

43 Posts

June 13th, 2012 10:00

hello and thanks for reply but I did this test... I also tried to update the usb controller driver.

the problem is not software because when the usb port stops working and example is connected the keyboard and reboot the PC the bios does not detect it because the usb port does not work..

really strange!!!

however,no longer buy a alienware, I had many problems ..

the ODD not read and write

poor wifi card

noisy fan

and now this problem with usb

no comment.............

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

June 13th, 2012 11:00

agodng,

Which specific USB port is having issues?
Two Front Black USB 2.0 (Top or Bottom)
Four Rear Black USB 2.0 (Top 1/2, Bottom 3/4)
Two Rear Blue USB 3.0 (1/2)

We fixed the ODD issues and the new CPU fan should be available next week. The wifi issue was fixed for some users who rerouted the wifi antenna in the case. We are training our onsite technicians on how to do the rerouting as we speak. We are also testing a new antenna. I need some information to investigate this. Send me the following via private message -
Email Address:
Name:
Shipping Address:
Phone Number:
Computer Service Tag number:
Current Issues:

43 Posts

June 13th, 2012 14:00

Hi Chris, the problem is only on the rear USB 2.0 port N.4 (near the ethernet port) I think it's a voltage problem, I use hwminitor (I read that is not accurate in the detection of the value) but when it works the usb port HWMonitor reports 3, 75V and slowly drops to this value down to 3.07 after 1/2 hours. and causing the problem on the port

for the rest of the problems I replaced the cpu fan and the odd with a bd, for the wifi at the moment I do not use

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

June 15th, 2012 21:00

There is no way to replace a single USB port. Your looking at getting the entire motherboard replaced. You should contact Alienware Support for your country (email = cer_aw@dell.com) and notify them of the issue.

No Events found!