Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 15th, 2017 10:00

Alienware Aurora R2 upgrade

Hello, I have an Alienware Aurora R2 with dual GPU AMD Radeon 6950 in crossfire. I had a long list of problems with these GPU's (they where both exchanged once during warranty) and now I'm having problems with them again. I would like to change them with something newer but I don't know what are the best GPU's that are still compatible with my MotherBoard.

The second objective would be to install a USB 3.0 PCIe Host Card but I don't know if that is possible with a dual gpu config. 

Could you please help me with some advice for this upgrade? 

Please don't recommend buying a new system. That is in the plan, but not for this year. 

Thank you very much for any help. 

Base : Alienware AuroraALX Cosmic Black Chassis
Processor : Intel Core i7-980x(3.33GHz,6.4GT/s 12MB )
Memory : 24GB 1333MHz (6x4GB) Tri Channel Memory
Media Card Reader : Alienware 19-in-1 Media card reader
Hard Drive : 512GB (2x256GB) Solid State Drive Raid 0 "Stripe" Dual HDD
Optical Drive : 16X DVD+/-RW Drive
Graphics : Dual 2GB AMD Radeon HD 6950 CrossfireX
Audio Integrated HDA 7.1 Dolby Digital capability
Operating System : English Genuine Windows 7 Ultimate (64 BIT)

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 15th, 2017 12:00

With ...

Processor : Intel Core i7-980x(3.33GHz,6.4GT/s 12MB )
Memory : 24GB 1333MHz (6x4GB) Tri Channel Memory

I think you have an Aurora (R1). With movable fins on top ... a Aurora-ALX (R1)

Should have Dell 875watt Power-Supply (but would not hurt to double-check). Should be line-item on original Invoice.

A "single card" solution will cool better and generally work better with less problems (no CrossFire or SLI to worry about). Yes, it can be "2 slots wide" but still only a single video card. You put it in the top-most slot.

Use the other PCIe slots for a USB-3.0 card (that's what I did).

4 Posts

March 15th, 2017 14:00

Hello Tesla, thank you for your response. You are right, I verified and I have an R1 model. Is it possible to use a GTX1080 directly or GTX1070?

I found one like : Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 WINDFORCE OC, 8GB GDDR5X, 256-bit

And, at a similar price point: ASUS GeForce® GTX 1070 TURBO, 8GB GDDR5, 256-bit

Do you think it would be enough for games in 4k like Mass Effect Andromeda?

Any other recommendation, I receive with open heart :)

Thank you for your response,

Marius.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 15th, 2017 16:00

Those should work if you have the 875w PowerSupply. The card I put in mine is in my sig and also in my Profile.

If you want to game in actual 4K resolution at best possible FPS ... I suggest the GTX-1080 or 1080ti.

4 Posts

March 20th, 2017 04:00

Hello Tesla1856, thank you for all your help. I went and purchased a MSI GEFORCE GTX 1080 GAMING X 8G model. Unfortunately it is quite wider than what and I had to remove the plastic cover that was covrering the previous GPUs. 

That is the only problem. Now I also have enough room for a USB 3.0 expansion but I need to find something for the PCIE 1 slot that is a little further from the video card. I have bought one and placed it on the PCIe x16 and that seem to be a little too close to the GPU. I fear it will not ventilate properly. 

I will try the PCIe 1 version tomorrow. 

Again thank you for your help./ 

No Events found!