Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 5th, 2017 00:00

Aurora R6 Control Center Temperatures

Hey everyone,

On my new Aurora R6 it looks as though the CPU sensor temperature is reading out under the Ambient Sensor and not the CPU sensor. The fans seem to be running perfectly. It just looks like a display issue.

I just did a clean Windows 10 restore from the factory partition and the issue still exists...

Any ideas?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 5th, 2017 13:00

Maybe Eimy or Dell Rep will be so kind as to tell us what kind of Sensors are reporting in Command Center and where they are exactly. Then, we will have some idea as to how they should be reporting.

Also, how they relate to info from a program like CPUID HW-Monitor (for example).

27 Posts

March 7th, 2017 13:00

Tesla,

Is your R6s CPU temperature reading out as Ambient Sensor as well?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 7th, 2017 15:00

I guess so.

If you are asking if the temps for "CPU Sensor" and "Ambient Sensor"  inside Thermal Controller seem to always be the same or update in unison ... yes, they do. I agree it seems wrong.

But again, without knowing what sensors they are suppose to be reading ... we have no way of knowing which one is programmed incorrectly, or what the other one should be.

27 Posts

March 7th, 2017 21:00

Mine is different the CPU Sensor is reporting the Ambient temp, and the Ambient Sensor is reporting the CPU temp.

I verified this with a couple of different Temp monitors.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 7th, 2017 22:00

1. Mine is different the CPU Sensor is reporting the Ambient temp, and the Ambient Sensor is reporting the CPU temp.

2. I verified this with a couple of different Temp monitors.

1. Oh, really. That's strange. What version of Command Center are you running? I have v4.6.20.

2. What Temp from CPUID HW-Monitor do you guess is suppose to be "CPU Sensor"? Maybe "Package" or one of the Cores? Mine seems to follow "Package".

27 Posts

March 8th, 2017 18:00

The Ambient Sensor is reading the CPU package Temp and the CPU sensor is reading the TZ00 temp in CPUz-HWMon. I took the screenshot right at an update... Go figure...

27 Posts

March 8th, 2017 18:00

Oh sorry, and yes using the same version of Control Center 4.6.20

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 8th, 2017 22:00

Interesting it's broken on both Aurora-R6's, but in two different ways.

Either our hardware or software (maybe chipset or AWCC minor-build version) is different.

27 Posts

March 9th, 2017 06:00

I am curious to know if it is just a setting, maybe in the registry, that needs to be tweaked. Otherwise we maybe seeing a larger quality issue in either hardware or in the control center software...

4 Posts

March 9th, 2017 12:00

Mine is doing the same thing. I had to set the cooling to manual because the auto setting was tied to the cpu temp, but was the case temp. The fan wouldn't keep up with the actual cpu temp. (went to 70C) I would like to find a fix for this. How many people are overheating their cpu because of this?

4 Posts

March 9th, 2017 13:00

Mine is doing the same thing. I had to set the cooling to manual because the auto setting was tied to the cpu temp, but was the case temp. The fan wouldn't keep up with the actual cpu temp. (went to 70C) I would like to find a fix for this. How many people are overheating their cpu because of this?

27 Posts

March 9th, 2017 19:00

Ok folks I have done some testing and what I have found is more than alaraming!!!

Bobcal, your 100% correct! If you do not set the Aurora R6 with Control center 4.6.20 to Manual control and adjust the fans to use the Ambient sensor as if it were the CPU sensor, temps will go much higher than I am even remotely comfortable with.

Running Unique Valley as my load I saw temp of 82C on the GPU due to Control Center shutting off if the application was placed in full screen mode at 4K resolution. Additionally the Top and Front fans did not even pick up as the temps increased. With Unique valley in windowed mode below 4K resolution Control Center continued to work as normal with the Top and Front fans picking up speed as the temps increased. 

The GPU Fan is working as expected!

I am still unsure of the CPU FANoperation when Control center is not on... Still testing this.

My thoughts now are, We have a provable issue with the thermal controls on the R6 in Control Center. There is no reason for the appliction to shut down in 4K resolution with no gadets on the desktop and the icon minimized to the tray. Furthermore for the application and system to not up the Top and Front fan speeds as you would expect to match the curve mode set is scary to me to say the least.

27 Posts

March 10th, 2017 20:00

Ok got some good news. I have found the reason why my Thermal Controls were shutting down while benchmarking.

I had to turn off the temp and fan quick tips on the tray icon.

Now with manual settings all of my temps and fans are working as expected! Yaay!!! Provided of course that I force all the fans to use the correct sensor.

Still would like my CPU temp to read out on the CPU sensor, and would like to also have the Quick view working without killing the entire thermal control system, but hey having a machine that won't melt itself down to slag will have to do!

27 Posts

March 11th, 2017 08:00

I posted some helpful info here for others... Worked for me, hope it helps!

en.community.dell.com/.../20006766

4 Posts

March 11th, 2017 19:00

Thanks Mlhilljr, I feel better knowing that i'm not the only one. Hopefully Dell can look into this for us. Still worried for the others that don't even know they have a problem.

No Events found!