Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

V

March 4th, 2017 16:00

Aurora R6 Memory Question: Why a single DIMM?

I recently ordered and just received an Aurora R6, which came with "16GB HyperX(TM) FURY DDR4 XMP at 2667MHz" (the default for the level I selected). When it arrived, I was surprised to find that instead of two 8GB DIMMS (which is what I expected), it came with a single 16GB DIMM.

Is this normal practice for Dell/Alienware?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 15th, 2017 20:00

matt11795

Check this out. Based on these photos, it looks like a lot of the R5 review units that Alienware sent out had memory installed in the 2 and 4 (white) slots.

www.tomsguide.com/.../alienware-aurora-r5,review-3749.html

www.windowscentral.com/how-upgrade-alienware-aurora-r5-and-r6

hothardware.com/.../alienware-aurora-r5-review

1. Again, I'm not sure about the R6,
2. but I still think that configuration matrix in the manual looks wrong.

1. It's the same as the Aurora-R5

2. It's wrong if those are the true DIMM slot numbers left to right. It's right in the fact it's trying to show that only matching pairs should be installed (so RAM with run dual-channel).

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 20th, 2017 13:00

It seems that since this question was answered before the forum was migrated, I can't select "I have this question also".

And for the record, I personally never thought is was proper for anyone else (other that the Original Poster, Thread Starter, or Question Asker) to accept an Answer as Correct.  

To anyone else who has this question (found later by searching) ... be sure to read the whole thread.

Edit 1: Looks like OP or Mod has correctly returned this question to "Unanswered"

April 3rd, 2017 05:00

Just received my machine as well and was feeling mixed emotions about seeing the 16GB stick as one denomination.  It's good because now I can achieve 64GB but that's largely an exercise in bragging rights, imo.  I can get another 16GB so it will run dual channel or does it being in a single stick negate that? 

I'm also curious what the RX 480 card is in the machine.  It looks like a generic 'founders edition' but I'm not sure since a number of companies manufacturer it in this guise.   Does anyone know for sure?  I'd like to get anotherone to run XFIRE.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 3rd, 2017 10:00

Supercooled wrote:

1. Just received my machine as well and was feeling mixed emotions about seeing the 16GB stick as one denomination.  ... I can get another 16GB so it will run dual channel or does it being in a single stick negate that? 

2. I'm also curious what the RX 480 card is in the machine.  It looks like a generic 'founders edition' but I'm not sure since a number of companies manufacturer it in this guise.   Does anyone know for sure?  I'd like to get anotherone to run XFIRE.

1. The rule is that the pair of DIMMs in a Dual-Channel Memory Bank should match EXACTLY. Since the supplied DIMM is not a retail-part or easy to match exactly with after-market retail purchase, I think your options are:
a. Call Dell Parts and try to purchase an exactly matching DIMM (at additional cost since you are doubling installed memory) but at least it will run Dual-Channel.

b. Pull out that DIMM and start over.

c. Call Dell Tech Support and request to swap the single DIMM for a matching pair of DIMMs (as Chris-M posted above). Same speed, same total amount of installed memory when finished (but now running in Dual-Channel mode).

2. Would it be OK to keep this thread on topic?   I would say it's likely an AMD "Reference Design" card. You can run GPUz on it for more details and/or look for writing on the card's PCB. If you have additional questions or to let us know what you found, please start a new Discussion thread. Thanks.

22 Posts

April 3rd, 2017 11:00

Tesla1856 - Did you try to get them to replace your 16 with two 8s? I gave up but am wondering if I should have tried harder.

It's still a fine system. It's just a disappointment for those of us who remember what Alienware once was.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 3rd, 2017 12:00

vyper1212 wrote:

Tesla1856 - Did you try to get them to replace your 16 with two 8s?

Yes. I'll posted here about it. 

Edit 1: Status updated

April 3rd, 2017 13:00

vyper1212 wrote:

It's just a disappointment for those of us who remember what Alienware once was.

#letsmakealienwaregreatagain

Edit:

oh god! what have i done? please don't ban me.

22 Posts

I don't disagree. It's just a little disheartening when you call them and the person you're speaking to tries to convince you that because it's a "new kind of memory," it's just as fast or even faster in single-channel (I know dual offers a fairly minor increase in performance, but it's an increase nonetheless)... or when you hear that someone else was told they could buy another 16 to get dual channel (though, to be fair, I don't know the context of the conversation in which that suggestion was made).

Again, I like the system well enough that I never considered returning it. But I'll like it even better if there's a fair chance that they'll swap the 16 out for two 8s.

Thanks for the info.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

vyper1212 wrote:

It's still a fine system. It's just a disappointment for those of us who remember what Alienware once was.

Without proof otherwise, I like to give people the "benefit of a doubt".

I don't think this "config error" was intentional on Dell/Alienware's part. Maybe just a mis-communication between Dell Departments on how memory should be sold and installed in the new Auroras. Maybe it was actually deemed "unimportant" if memory runs Single or Double Channel (for the average user and their use-case of "just gaming"). As end-users, we may never know.

However, if Dell/Alienware agrees to rectify the "non-optimal Memory config" for those customers who request it ... I think that is acceptable.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 10th, 2017 13:00

I got the two replacement 8gb DIMMs (5H5PW - 8GB DDR4 XMP) from Dell.
I have installed these to replace the single 16gb DIMM (RGM6C - 16GB DDR4 XMP) that my system shipped with.

I installed these 2 exactly matched 2667mhz DIMMs in the two "staggered" white-clipped slots marked XMM1 and XMM2 on the motherboard.

The system passes all ePSA Memory Diagnostics and also MemTest86 tests with zero errors. They are also working properly in Windows-10. In 3rd-party CPU-Z utility, it correctly shows that my memory system is now finally running in "Dual-Channel" Mode.  

Some additional info ... Do not to confuse (Dual/Single) Channels with Ranks. The memory on 5H5PW is configured in 1 Rank, while the memory on RGM6C is in 2 Ranks. This has nothing to do with the Channel Mode the Memory Bank as a whole is operating in.

I returned the old Kingston DIMM back to Dell. I wanted you to know that my issue was resolved by the helpful Dell staff. They did mention that each case is reviewed on an individual basis.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 10th, 2017 13:00

Yes, the legend text of the XMM memory slots is incorrect in the current Aurora-R6 Service Manual. Specifically, the color motherboard pic on Page 19.

Starting at the main processor, and going left-to-right, they are:

XMM3, XMM1, XMM4, XMM2

If installing only 2 DIMMs, they go in XMM1 and XMM2 ... which are the two white-clipped slots.

EDIT 5-28-2017 ADDED PIC.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 10th, 2017 15:00

Darn.  ... I'm sure you told them RGM6C - 16GB DDR4 XMP ... I wonder what happened?

However, I'm glad to hear that they let you redeem your Advantage Rewards dollars on parts from Dell Parts. That was one resolution I considered myself. Since they were a bonus and almost covered a (hopefully matching) 16gb XMP 2667mhz DIMM, I would have just called it "a break-even".

22 Posts

April 10th, 2017 15:00

I'm glad to hear things worked for you. Unfortunately, things only got worse for me. I decided to put my Dell advantage rewards from the system purchase toward just ordering the second 16GB DIMM so that I could be done with this. But despite repeatedly telling him the specific part I needed and having him confirm that's what I'd be getting, the sales rep shipped me out a different part that isn't even close and won't meet my needs. So now I'm working on trying to return it and am (not surprisingly) encountering trouble with that, too.

22 Posts

April 10th, 2017 17:00

Yes, repeatedly. And he assured me I would get what I asked for... I didn't. Instead, they shipped out a DDR4-2400 SODIMM (Dell Part A9168727).

22 Posts

April 24th, 2017 16:00

Still waiting for my refund. So much for their promise to expedite it...

No Events found!