Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 26th, 2018 20:00

17 R3, "critical process died" BSOD

For the last couple of weeks, my 17r3 has become very unstable.

Several times a day, it crashes to a CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED blue screen.

I didn't install anything new, drivers are up-to-date. I couldn't find a pattern in the crashes.

SupportAssist didn't detect anything, even though a couple crashes occurred during its tests (last one during RGB pixel test).

Any idea of what's going on ?

2 Posts

November 23rd, 2018 00:00

This is 100% the Toshiba SSD they included in the Alienware 17 r3.

I confirmed this in Linux, syslog messages show the drive powers down when asked to do anything for a sustained amount of time.

In my example now I am on my 8th BSOD in 90 mins trying to decrypt my drive I can clone it and bin it.

I'll be claiming on the warranty for this drive as it's obviously not working.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 27th, 2018 09:00

"SupportAssist didn't detect anything, even though a couple crashes occurred during its tests (last one during RGB pixel test) "

:BigSmile:

Please run Dell Off Line diagnostic to check the hardware on the system by following steps below. 

1. Power on system, quickly start tapping the F12 key continuously until you see Preparing One Time Menu in the top right corner of screen.

2. In Dell Preboot menu, select Diagnostic. After quick tests finished, select hard drive and then Thorough Test Mode. After hard drive test finished, do the same for Memory. Report back any error code.

If there's no error code: 

I suggest performing a clean boot to check if there are no programs interfering with windows and that are causing the blue screen. You could do this by following the steps in link below.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows - support.microsoft.com

If issue persists with the clean boot then it might be that windows has corrupted files therefore, I'd suggest you run the System File Checker (SFC ) and Deployment Image Servicing and Management(DISM) commands to help fix any possible corrupted files. The System file checker is also known to fix Memory issues. 

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

12 Posts

May 28th, 2018 17:00

Thanks for your help LSUFAN51,

Diagnostics/ Quick tests : All tests passed.

I went through the Clean Boot procedure, and had a crash.

I didn't have time today for the hard drive and memory thorough tests, neither the System File Check.
I'll run them later this week if necessary, because yesterday SupportAssist tested my hard drives and memory without finding a problem.

Also, I've been confronted with BAD_POOL_HEADER BSODs caused by SupportAssist trying to update itself yesterday.
I "solved" it by uninstalling and reinstalling it, but I now have a new issue : I get a popup message from SupportAssistAgent.exe at every boot :

Windows Service Start Failure

Cannot start service from the command line or a debugger. A Windows Service must first be installed (using installutil.exe) and then started with the ServerExplorer, Windows Services Administrative tool or the NET START command.

I don't speak this language. What does that mean ?

Would it be possible my troubles are related to the latest Spring Creator Update (Win10 v 1803) ? I've seen many reports about it being faulty.
Most Alienware users seem to have experienced an interrupted update procedure, but my laptop went through it without incident.

EDIT :

C:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.17134.1

Image Version: 10.0.17134.81

[==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.
The operation completed successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

12 Posts

May 28th, 2018 17:00

EDIT :

C:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.17134.1

Image Version: 10.0.17134.81

[==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.
The operation completed successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

12 Posts

May 29th, 2018 04:00

Thank you LSUFAN51,

All Dell Offline Diagnostics tests passed. No problem detected.

DISM and SFC tests passed, no problem.

I didn't have time for hard disk and memory thorough tests, I'll run those later.

I went through the Clean Boot procedure and had a crash while no service was enabled. I can not make anything out of that.

There's something else, that might be a clue : on sunday, when I performed the SupportAssist tests, I had several BAD_POOL_HEADER BSODs while it tried to update itself.

I "solved" that by uninstalling it. There were 4 softwares, with older and newer versions. Maybe a conflict ?

Since that, I see a popup message at each boot : "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device ?" (verified publisher: Dell, Inc.)

The Task Manager identifies the app as being SupportAssistAgent.exe.

If I allow the changes, I got an error message : "Cannot start service from the command line or a debugger. A Windows service must first be installed (using Installutil.exe) and then started with the ServerExplorer, Windows Services Administrative tool or the NET START command".
I don't speak this language, what does that mean ?

Could it be possible that my initial problem was related to the latest Spring Creator Update (1803) ? Although most AW users reported and interrupted update procedure, my laptop went through...

12 Posts

June 2nd, 2018 09:00

I keep on getting crashes once or twice a day, mostly at startup and wake up, before I can even log in.

Those are not BSOD anymore, the computer seems frozen but the mouse is still active. HHD light blinking.

12 Posts

June 1st, 2021 07:00

Dan301 was right. I replaced the OEM SSD with a [SAMSUNG (MZ-V7S1T0B/AM) 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB] last week and did not experience any crash since.

No Events found!