Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 25th, 2018 12:00

13 R3 BIOS 1.2.3 to 1.2.1 - SupportAssist offering update

Hello, 

I just received my new 13 R3 and it is saying that I need to install a bios update to 1.2.1. However I already have 1.2.3 installed from the factory. I do not know if this is an expected behavior or not.

After attempting to install the bios update it says that 1.2.3 is protected and 1.2.1 cannot be installed. It is a minor inconvenience but SupportAssist is saying that I have an update available on each reboot. 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

January 25th, 2018 14:00

Hi @Xanthalan,

Please DO NOT run the update, it is causing issues and we're working on getting the notice off of Support Assist. 

As well as releasing a new BIOS update that should fix all caused issues. 

3 Posts

January 26th, 2018 06:00

@Alienware-Eimy Understood. Since it appears that the 1.2.3 update was pulled and mine came from the factory with it is there anything that would be a cause for concern? 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

January 26th, 2018 11:00

No, just wait for a new release of the BIOS. 

5 Posts

January 26th, 2018 19:00

Having the same issue with 17 R4. Current bios is 1.2.3 and 1.2.1 is suggested by Support Assist but it won't install. 

I'm just a great grandmother with a nice pc to work with photos and don't understand a lot about hardware issues.  Will wait for the notice of a fix.

2 Posts

January 27th, 2018 11:00

I have been getting alot of BSOD with the error code Critical process failed..

not sure if is something to do with the bios 1.2.3 update. (sfc /scannow, DISM check shown healthy OS)

couldnt roll back as mentioned...

Please give us the date of when will the new patched (not botched* update) bios be release?

1 Message

January 27th, 2018 19:00

Try to get a refund since the update to BIOS and Windows 10 will drastically reduce the performance of the PC you paid a premium price. My computer is noticeably slower during boot times and initial Windows startup. 

1 Message

January 27th, 2018 22:00

Im having the same issue i have a 17R4 and i keep getting this update notice saying 1.2.1 but i have the 1.2.3 at first i freaked out then i realized that i couldnt update and it was nothing i had done so i looked on here for solutions and found all of you wondering the same thing so i hope they get it fixed i can still get on my pc i only use mine for gaming and music equipment i use in my studio. it would be nice if we could just get rid of the notice that keeps popping up and wait for a new bios. hoping for a bios that past 1.2.3 cause just thinking about reverting back is scary. thanks :)

7 Posts

January 28th, 2018 11:00

I have a 15r3 that is running 1.2.3 bios. The cpu temp and gpu temp have rised to unacceptable. Tryed to revert to 1.2.1 but it refused becaused 1.2.3 is locked!!! Contacted Alienware tech support. They told me tha 95C on max cpu was ok, that only the average CPU temp (more then 90C) qualify for a replacement. Before my max temp while gamin BF1 where 84C on all four core.

Also dell bios 1.2.3 is no longer available for download. Only 1.2.1. So i conclude that this bios broke my computer and that is why it is not avalaible for download anymore.

I asked dell for a new computer without 1.2.3 and they refused. I asked them to rool back to a previous bios, not possible they told me. I am very, very, very disapointed. I had a perfect computer, it is now destroy. Oh and by the way i have reach 100C while gaming later today with an average of 92C. GPU was very high also. They probably going to offer a new motherboard but that's not gone fix the issue i am pretty confident about it.

4 Posts

January 30th, 2018 05:00

Hello Team,

Indeed am also getting the same update however 1.2.3 did not slowed my system or any issues with perfomace, however I noticed bit of over heating and the fan noise is became little higher than before. please do the needful at the earliest... 

1 Message

January 30th, 2018 13:00

I have an R3 - 15 with GTX1060. I have had the misfortune to upgrade the BIOS to 1.2.3, since I have had several issues that freeze the screen several times during the day, sometimes forcing me to shut down incorrectly. What is the expected release of a repair of this. I am very disappointed with DELL. I paid dearly for the product.

2 Posts

January 31st, 2018 03:00

Ok, there is an easy way to roll back your the original bios your laptop shipped with... I have no idea why Dell dont know about this but hey...

1. shutdown your laptop.

2. unplug the power cable.

3. Hold down the ESC key and CTRL key.

4. Plug in the power cable whilst still holding the ESC and CTRL keys down.

5. Press the power on button.

6. When it starts to boot, fans etc come alive, release the ESC and CTRL keys.

7. It will boot to a bios page where you can select ROLL BACK BIOS

8. Press the arrow keys to select this option and press RETURN

9. Let the pc do its thing and it will eventually restart and when windows boots if you right click the widows key, click on run and type in dxdiag and hit return you will see what bios you are at and it should be back to 1.2.0 or 1.2.1.

You can now run support assist if you arent on 1.2.1 and update to the latest stable bios.

January 31st, 2018 09:00

This would work normally but since the 1.2.3 bios is protected it doesn't work.

Tried it myself and nothing happens, it just stays on 1.2.3.  Just have to wait for the fix to come out.

Sigh.

1 Message

January 31st, 2018 11:00

Yeah i, in the same boat waiting for a new bios to fix the speed issues mine also says 1.2.3

3 Posts

January 31st, 2018 12:00

Hi

I have 17 R4 and same issue BIOS is 1.2.3 and not only that I have a high temperature issue and fan noise I start to get random USB resets, my external disk, keyboard, mouse, integrate web cam (all at same time) will disconnect and connect again 5-10 time a day randomly no pattern. I did not have this issue before 1.2.3 BIOS.

Dofa

January 31st, 2018 16:00

Man same here!!! My gpu and cpu temperature was both 72 when gaming on rise of the tomb raider. After the update, both temperature reach 85 easily!!!! that **bleep**

No Events found!