Start a Conversation

Unsolved

BY

2 Posts

April 17th, 2020 18:00

17 R2, restarts without warning every 30 minutes

Sorry for my bad english
My Alienware 17 r2 is restarting every 30 or 40 minutes, without a warning, just goes black screen and starts again like nothing happened, I already did a repaste, fans are working well, and the graphics card is running games fine.
Also when i try to install Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework from the Alienware 17 R2 support drivers, my windows just get corrupted, and the only way to fix it is to reinstall windows, and again when i try to install intel DPTF windows crashes and i have to reinstall. It doesnt matter if im gaming or just looking at the windows desktop and the laptop is cold, it will restart in 30 minutes.
Almost Forgot, when i enter the bios, and get to advanced settings it says "ICC Overclocking unavaliable: Library failed to initialize." and if i try to enter to performance options with Alienware Graphics Amplifier it freezes.
I don´t know what to do now, i already updated bios and the problem is still, i downgraded the bios and in every version does the same, i tried forcing the fans to its max all the time and it keeps restarting
Please Help Thanks in advance

1 Message

April 27th, 2020 04:00

Have you solved the Problem ?;)

April 27th, 2020 08:00

No I haven't  

1 Message

April 27th, 2020 14:00

I'm having the same problem on my R2. I recon it started after a Bios update.

The computer is not running hot but it switches off and comes back with no warning or message.

I have tried a lot of different things but so far nothing solved the problem.

1 Message

June 12th, 2020 04:00

Mine has also just started doing this, i also get a post boot check on my fans that freezes the computer for about 10 seconds and then comes back, i have updated the chipset drivers and thermal drivers to the latest versions from Dell.

This only happens when connected to my AGA, when i called dell support they told me it must be an issue with that and told me id need a replacement since i bought it with my laptop almost 5 years ago.

Ive never done a thermal paste replacement, is it easy to do? My laptop has been out of warranty for few years

July 30th, 2020 01:00

Hi Brandon, this happens to mine as well. we have the same laptop and same proble. Alienware 17 R2.

Have you resolved your issue?

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

July 30th, 2020 07:00

Yo, everyone I found a way to install the thermal dynamic platform.

I boot into safe mode and uninstall the dynamic platform in the device manager and then I reinstall the dynamic platform from dells websites from the usb I downloaded the file on.

That should fix the issue.

Heres the BIOS so you can flash it and fix the performance option issue:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=rgyy4&oscode=wb64a&productcode=alienware-17-r2

No Events found!