Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 12th, 2018 19:00

17 R3, screen won't turn on after sleep

I have a 2015 alienware 17 r3 windows 10. This week, the screen stopped turning on whenever i wake the computer from sleep. There was a recent update which could've caused it. I have tried everything from power/display settings, to diagnostics in bios, command file checking, and even resetting the whole computer. The problem is still there. The only thing that turns on the laptop screen, after being in sleep mode, is either connecting the hdmi cable (for external monitor) or disconnecting the hdmi cable.  I seriously don't know what to do and might have to ship it to get it fixed. Please let me know what could be the problem. I am still looking at forums to find solutions. 

March 18th, 2018 16:00

Update. I have fixed the problem with no issues so far. I had uninstalled the Intel HD 530 driver from the Device Manager, restarted the pc, and updated through Windows Update. I did NOT not update the Intel HD 530 driver through the Device Manager. I am afraid that's what's gonna mess up my computer again.

March 13th, 2018 09:00

Mine has been doing the same thing.

March 13th, 2018 16:00

Glad to know I'm not the only one. I will post the solution or updates. Lmk if you ever find the solution.

2 Intern

• 

385 Posts

March 15th, 2018 07:00

Had something similar happened to me about a month ago and yesterday. I have my AW17R3 hooked up to a dock with an external monitor. When I leave the computer it is set to turn of the display after 20 minutes. I ran a full defender virus scan and let it run to finish (3+ hours) when I moved the mouse to turn on the pc display it didn't turn on and it used the external monitor as the main display. It corrected it's self when I closed and opened the screen lid. Then it recognized the pc monitor as the main display. I guess it is a bug somewhere related to bios (1.4.4), intel graphic driver (updated a month ago) or windows update.

Maby this is unrelated your problem but I tought it is worth mentioning.

1 Message

October 25th, 2018 17:00

Same problem. Mine seems to respond if I undock and close/open the lid.

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

February 15th, 2022 15:00

Hi @DavidG4239 !

I hope I can help with the issue you are having today.

"This week, the screen stopped turning on whenever i wake the computer from sleep. There was a recent update which could've caused it. I have tried everything from power/display settings, to diagnostics in bios, command file checking, and even resetting the whole computer. The problem is still there. "

I highly recommend you run these three commands to fully fix any issues:

sfc /scannow

chkdsk /r

chkdsk /f after the upper two are run.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The only thing that turns on the laptop screen, after being in sleep mode, is either connecting the hdmi cable (for external monitor) or disconnecting the hdmi cable. "

I recommend you install these drivers for your 17 R3 to possibly fix these issues:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX Series Graphics Driver | Driver Details | Dell US

NVIDIA GeForce GTX Series Graphics Driver | Driver Details | Dell US

Intel UHD Graphics Driver | Driver Details | Dell US

Then installing or if you already have NVIDIA GeForce Experience on your laptop, use the custom options when installing the game ready driver and select the checkmark where it says clean installation of graphics driver.

Hope I can help and let me know if any issues occur you need help with.

No Events found!