Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

M

6 Posts

November 20th, 2018 09:00

17 R4, plugged in, not charging, #4

Like so many others, my Alienware can't seem to charge itself, even though it's using all of the equipment it came with. The bios detects the AC adapter just fine and claims that the battery is operating normally but if i allow the battery to drain at all (you know, like using a portable computing device without an outlet...like they were designed for) windows reports that the ac adapter is plugged in, not charging. 

This is ridiculous. a "top end" laptop shouldn't have this sort of issue. the best part is that it only presented itself shortly after I went out of warranty, so, from a hardware stand point, I can only assume that any fix is going to require $$. if it is faulty hardware and I do have to come out of pocket for it after only a little over a year of ownership, that will certainly make my next purchase decision easier. 

if anyone has an answer that will fix this clearly known issue, please let me know. it's getting really annoying. 

Thanks.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

May 28th, 2019 07:00

@neroZzero,

Send me a private message with the Service Tag so I can review your account.

July 16th, 2019 17:00

Yes I have the same issue as well and to my surprise too many people do. So, I dont understand why dell didnt withdraw this garbage product that cost 2500$ instead of offering solutions that dont work.

I was only playing a 2007 game online and my battery was drawn while i was charging the laptop. So your guys told me it may be the charger. Got a brand new dell charger. Nothing. Next, they told be to get a new battery. And I did. It still doesnt work. My new battery is stuck in 74% out of the box and it wont charge. And the laptop is lagging opening gmail. 

This is my second dell product and my last and i will literally do anything to prevent anyone of buying you piece of garbage products when u dont even have the decensy to admit you just made a bad product.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

July 17th, 2019 15:00

Hi @ChrisKourouzidis

We're sorry for the bad experience you have had so far. Please send me a private message with the Service Tag so I can review your case.

July 18th, 2019 09:00

I think the problem is battery. You try to replace the new battery.

Good luck !!!

September 18th, 2019 02:00

how did you update bios without having battery can you help me withit i have replaced the motherboard also but the problem is still same and i also have throttle issue the laptop stuck at 0.7 ghz

November 7th, 2019 20:00

We CAN"T update the BIOS if these laptops don't recognize the charger!!

7 Posts

February 20th, 2020 07:00

hi

I have a 15 R3. I have run into the same issue as everyone posting here. I have a 2100 paper weight. I have bought a dell charger, now I have sprung for a new battery, and power inlet piece. After I install these we shall see what is going to happen. From what I can gather. The whole software issue is undetermined results. I have not seen a single issue resolved other than replacing the battery. If the machine can't support itself without a healthy battery. So it under volts. But some people have done this and nothing changes and some people have had luck. So why does Alienware continue to let this issue persist. It defies logic.

things I have done:

new charger 70 bucks

new batery 118 bucks

new power line 29.99

its at 200 and Still the issue. 

I guess there is a software switch that needs to be addressed in the bios.

I would love some help here.

1 Message

February 24th, 2020 04:00

For the last few months I have been contemplating the purchase of a high end laptop and was particularly considering the purchase of a Dell Alienware when today I discovered this issue. It would appear from the comments here - including those of the Dell reps who seem to be avoiding any discussion of the issue - that this is definitely a brand to avoid, especially on the used market. My thanks to those who have posted their experiences as this has probably helped me avoid a costly mistake. It seems unbelievable that such a basic function should be an issue on such a high end machine and even more so that this issue seems to have been around for a considerable time (apparently present on both the R3 and R4) without public acknowledgement or resolution!

No Events found!