Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 3rd, 2020 11:00

17 R4, reseat the memory message?

Hello! Today after restarting the laptop, I have a white screen from SupportAssist saying:

"The amount of system memory has changed. If you did not change your memory... To resolve this issue, try to reseat the memory.".

I have no idea what this means. I have not touched any RAM or memory and do not touch it or anything of the sorts as I'm a newbie at this kind of stuff. I have no clue what reseating the memory even means. Any help would be appreciated!

2 Intern

• 

385 Posts

January 12th, 2021 16:00

@heara Same as me then. I gave up after several tries today. It seems that what's trigger it is a restart. If I just shutdown and start it up again after the error message it will not show up before doing a restart on my end. So restarting triggers it every time it seems, not a complete shutdown.

Another discovery I did today is that SA is now a build in app in windows and not a separate program as before. I think that this can have something to do with it. I found out this when I tried to run the SA as admin, but that option is no longer possible. So that can explain why a windows update can be apart of the problem. We know that some have been successful in just uninstalling WU updates. Others have removed both. I will monitor my system over the coming days/weeks and see if it gets better or worse. Something tells me that this can be ongoing until Microsoft’s 21H1 update that will debut in the first half of 2021: https://www.howtogeek.com/685996/whats-new-in-windows-10s-21h1-update-coming-spring-2021/ 

2 Intern

• 

385 Posts

January 13th, 2021 05:00

@DELL-Cares any statement on this issue by Dell or MS? This is an ongoing problem for several users. A bug that seems to be related to SupportAssist software (previous and newest version 3.8/38.10), and December update for windows and also the January update yesterday. I don't see that uninstalling SA and or reformatting windows is a fix. My AW 17 R3 is still under warranty.

My systeminfo: 

Skjermbilde 2021-01-13 140401.jpg

January 13th, 2021 06:00

since a lot of you will be updating... could you keep an eye out for me?

updated wu last night, all went well. updated SA this morning, it appears OK but again I get the security violation...

protected memory access blocked
pcdrsysinfostorage.p5x blocked from \device\harddisk0\dr0
controlled folder access

Anyone else get this? If you did not get it, have you manually allowed this security threat? I've never changed any security settings. Wondering why I should get it if other people do not.

2 Intern

• 

385 Posts

January 13th, 2021 10:00

@alienware17r4 So you have not got the error during restarts and with a shutdown and fresh boot? It maybe take several attempts before it reaper. Mine seems to be triggered by a restart. What did you do prior the updates to WU and SA yesterday?

I have not get rid of the error message after the new updates to SA and WU yesterday. But its been reported that the problem was fixed for some after several reboots and shutdowns. I will monitor my system and planning on still keep it untouched, just receiving updates.    

I cant help with your other questions, sorry. 

Any inputs from @DELL-Chris M or any other Dell representant? 

5 Posts

January 13th, 2021 12:00

after several shut downs the problem is getting worse after the WU and SA update, i dont know what is exactly causing the issue, i hope soon they fix the problem

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 13th, 2021 12:00

Why haven't any of you tried to contact Dell or Alienware? I strongly believe I have fixed my own, thought I can not remember what I did. But I had support involved.

2 Intern

• 

385 Posts

January 13th, 2021 15:00

@Anonymous My understanding is that AW/Dell support ignored your request? Looking back in this tread I see that you solve it by uninstalling the WU update from December and also uninstalled SA. What kind of support did you get?

So you have not had the error reappear after updating windows and SA this week? Even after several reboots and complete shutdown and cold boot?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 14th, 2021 03:00

By myself, I uninstalled SA. I reinstalled all my updates, including the other drives. I had not (still not had) the error. I then, as a second progression, I contacted Dell through another warrentless service, and believe I was able to fix it that way - I had help. Either way, my laptop is running smoothly. That is why I suggested instead of waiting around, to contact them.

But best to luck to everyone else in this thread. I hope you are able to fix it yourself.

5 Practitioner

• 

206 Posts

January 14th, 2021 22:00

Hi @ERidden 

Please share the error message and error screenshot so we can differentiate on where exactly you are facing this issue and it will be good if you can share the SupportAssist version also.

1 Message

January 15th, 2021 03:00

You might try disabling Driver Verifier. I did and it seemed to work. It might take a couple of reboots once you do it. 

Here is some info:

https://www.howtogeek.com/363500/why-you-shouldnt-use-the-driver-verifier-in-windows-10/

1 Message

January 15th, 2021 05:00

This happened to me immediately after installing Microsoft update KB4580980. It went away after uninstalling that update.

2 Intern

• 

385 Posts

January 15th, 2021 06:00

@NikhilKiroula Since I am facing the same issue, I can provide you with this information also.

After I updated windows to build 19042.685 on 8. December I was prompted with a error message during the reboot. It says the following:

memory message.jpg

The Dell SupportAssist was updated the day before on 7. December with Product Version: 3.8.0.108
It also affecting the newest Dell SupportAssist 3.8.10.0: 

Skjermbilde 2021-01-15 155156.jpg

Good to see that Dell is finally investigating this ongoing issue that affect several AW users. 

3 Posts

January 16th, 2021 02:00

Was hoping the update a couple days ago might have a fix.  Nope!   Just got the error message again.    Seems like I get the message more often during restarts.(?)     Following...

AW 17 R4, i7-7700HQ 2.80 GHz, 16 GB RAM

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 16th, 2021 04:00

Although this is an Alienware thread, this problem is not limited to Alienware's.   Inspiron 15 Gaming 5577 model users are reporting the same problem.  I have a 5577 and getting the memory error.   I have escalated the problem to our Rockstar's forum.   

FWIW, steps I've taken.

1. Reseated Memory.

2. Replaced Memory

3. Replaced CMOS Memory 2032 coin cell battery

4. Uninstalled Support Assist (the version I had installed was an older version), rebooted after the uninstall but the Support Assist error still showed up.

5. Installed the latest Support Assist.

No change with any.  However, I'm suspicious that a different version of Support Assist is installed to work with the POST (Power On Self Test) and the reason uninstalling Support Assist still gave the error.

The user that reported uninstalling KB4580980 fixed their problem.  That KB is not for the latest 20H2 version that I have and is not installed.

2 Intern

• 

385 Posts

January 16th, 2021 05:00

@fireberd Thanks, this was helpfull and a relief to see that this problem is being escalated to the Rockstar's forum.

I regard of the SA version in windows I have some info regarding this that support your suspicion. 

SA is now a build in app in windows and not a separate program as before. I think that this can have something to do with it. I found out this when I tried to run the SA as admin, but that option is no longer possible.
So that can explain why a windows update can be apart of the problem. We know that some have been successful in just uninstalling WU updates. Others have removed both. Removing Support Assist resolved the problem for some users, and found there was a Microsoft Store and legacy install component while uninstalling the application.

And yes, I have also seen that there is a Windows store and a Dell component to SA. So one of them, or both in combination, are causing the error. So since it is a Windows component of SA that can also explain why uninstalling a WU update solved the error for some people. Clearly a miss match between the new SA update and Windows.

SA versions.jpg

The smalest SA program is the one from Windows Store, that install automatically alongside SA from dell. Both seems to be removed to solve the problem. I have not tried that since I will keep SA and see if there is a updated to this problem. Hopefully it will get sorted soon as the problem are reaching more and more systems. 

No Events found!