Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

August 13th, 2020 08:00

17 R5, OEM mobo replacement

Hi I recently purchased an Alienware 17 r5 (02.2019) and just yesterday it appears my motherboard has failed ( 6 months out of warranty ) so now I have a very expensive paper weight sitting on my desk:/ is there somewhere I can find the original motherboard to purchase and replace? I wonder if it will even be feasible to replace it or if I should just look into purchasing a new laptop? Cannot seem to find it searching google. Thanks for the help! 

October 19th, 2020 12:00

good for you, i'm already looking at gaming laptops from costco which gives you a second year warranty free and doubles to 4 years if you use the citi costco credit card.  stay safe and healthy.

1 Message

November 30th, 2020 00:00

Hi, I also have the same Laptop with the same issue; MB failure. Because my warranty expired, Dell wouldn't accept fixing it for free. I've had this laptop for one and a half year and I took good care of it. After some back and forth with Dell, I took it to a repair shop and it turns out that the motherboard can't be repaired and the only option is to replace it.

It really is disappointing and frustrating AND unexpected for Alienware to have this issues. What a shame... 

Now I am thinking of my options. Is it worth it to replace the motherboard or have the laptop sitting around and looking pretty? Should I just put it aside and just built a desktop?

If Dell sees this, you ought to do something about us if you truly value your customers. I am looking for a reasonable solution to my problem. So if you want to keep me as a customer, please help me out.

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

December 2nd, 2020 05:00

Well All I can say is that most people now are having issues with their 13,15,17 R3 and R4 Revisions because of the stated motherboard failure.

May 18th, 2021 17:00

I also have a 17 R5 that I purchased almost exactly 2 years ago. Now my battery will not charge. I bought a new battery and that didn't work. I had recently damaged my AC adapter, but it still powered the laptop. But I bought another adapter as that is the only other possible cause other than the motherboard according to what I've read. That arrived today and also did not fix it. The battery can not be charged. So I decided to see what a new motherboard would cost me and found this thread.

I bought this laptop as a portable desktop since I was traveling a lot for work. But I also just built myself a new water-cooled mini-ITX desktop last summer with a GTX 2080 Super that puts this laptop to shame. Since I no longer travel for work I'm not going to put any more cash into this laptop and will not buy another Dell product again. I still have a laptop from 2007 which I paid $700 for that works... Paying $2k for this laptop was a joke.

Alienware quality disappeared once Dell bought them. Now they are just trying to peddle the name. It's all made in China too, that's where my laptop had to ship from.

June 10th, 2021 01:00

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware/17-R3-bad-buying-experience/m-p/7717735#M35621

I bought 17 R3 in 2016. One of my biggest investments, after trusting in the name and brand. I could have bought 3 good computers with same amount. Though alienware seemed to have good processing power in terms or running some big softwares but it still did not impress me much even after using 6-7 months as I also had long experience working with Dell-studio and Mini Mac. Both were good machines. I think the high price is mainly because of cosmetics and make up they have applied to the machine.

Soon there used to be frequent crashes until one day after 4 years it crashed permanently. Consulted so many engineers but no one had any reply. Please let me know if someone has got some solution for this machine. 

I have consulted dell for repair but their charges are high. And worst part is that there is no surety no matter how much I keep investing for it's repair. And every repair is huge chunk of money.

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

June 10th, 2021 06:00

I want to help you. What issues are you having with it? Are they:

A. Thermal issues with frequent crashing's.

B. Display or Video Card issues.

C. Keyboard Malfunctions i.e. Keys not being recognized or clickable.

D. AlienFX software or LED's not working.

Please reply any of the letters and I can assist you with it via Private Messaging.

Thank you for your time and I hope I can help fix the issues.

No Events found!