Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

9 Posts

August 27th, 2020 01:00

17 R5, Startup problems with new replacement battery

Hello,

I bought this Alienware 17 R5 laptop last year and I started noticing that my touch pad was being pushed by something. After reading some forum posts, I determined that the problem was a swollen battery and thus I decided to order a replacement. You can see in the pictures that the old battery was indeed heavily swollen, bulging out basically (very strange for a laptop that is only 1 year old).

After installing the new battery, the touch pad issue was fixed however now I am encountering a different, very strange issue. The laptop will NOT start without the AC adapter plugged in even though the new battery is at 100% (it starts and shows the Alienware logo then there is a clicking sound and then a black screen with the lights on the keyboard still working). It will start normally if the AC adapter is plugged in.

The strange part is that after I login in Windows I can safely remove the AC adapter and the battery will take over and discharge without the laptop turning off. The second I click shutdown the laptop will immediately turn off if it's running without the AC adapter. It will shutdown normally if the AC adapter is plugged.

Any help would be appreciated.

1.jpg2.jpg

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

August 27th, 2020 05:00

Is it an official dell battery? If so, where did you get it from? Make sure your BIOS is updated to its latest version and windows updates are at the latest version.

9 Posts

August 27th, 2020 12:00

Hello Berylium,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, there are no Dell spare batteries available for Alienware 17 R5 on their website so I purchased a compatible battery via Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/OUWEE-9NJM1-Compatible-Alienware-Notebook/dp/B0838V5JHJ/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=alienware+17+r5+battery&qid=1598555272&sr=8-5

I tried doing a BIOS updated as you suggest but exactly same problem. Laptop turns on properly ONLY with AC adapter on but manages to run only on battery while Windows is on.

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

The last thing I’d check is the dc in.

i think there’s a ePSA test that can verify if the system is plugged in or not.

The ACPI thing in windows might be the culprit but who knows.

9 Posts

Hello,

After pressing F2 to get to the BIOS, I went to "Battery Health" and saw this "The battery is functioning normally."

Very strange issue indeed. I also tried running Support Assist and no issues were found yet I am unable to get to Windows if the AC isn't plugged in.

10 Elder

• 

24.7K Posts

Does the system recognize the battery (F2 at powerup to check)? If not, you'll need to take that up with your supplier.

If you're looking for an OEM battery:

https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=23857

1 Message

August 7th, 2021 07:00

Hi @BogdenD 

My Alienware 17R5 have the exact issue just like what you described. I replaced the battery on 7.8.2021.

I tried to boot up using Ubuntu OS but failed, it seems not software level issue but could be hardware issue. I tried update chipset, bios, reinstall AC Adapter in device manager, but the problem is still persist.

As of today, did you managed to fix this?

7 Technologist

• 

6.1K Posts

August 7th, 2021 12:00

Hi @fuj1w4r4 this thread is a year old and continues to await a solution. Please start a new thread. Your opening post can include similar to link this thread, if it helps. Thank you. 

1 Message

November 26th, 2021 14:00

I also have this problem after installing: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09FT4TLMP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The original battery was 68Wh@15.2V and the new battery is 99Wh@11.4V. So it may have something to do with the voltage level.  I would have thought a BIOS update would have fixed it but it did not.

I have not found a solution and I am going to try to purchase a Dell original battery from NewEgg.  If that does not work then I will by a replacement 68Wh.

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

December 3rd, 2021 08:00

They should automatically be compatible because both are made for the Alienware 17 R5. I upgraded my 15 R4 to the 99Wh Battery from the 68Wh and its fine.

No Events found!