Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

2 Posts

July 23rd, 2020 09:00

m15 R?, AGA, logo doesn't light up

The AGA (Alienware Graphics Amplifier) works, laptop recognizes it and the video card in it, but the logo doesn't light up anymore. Are there any steps to diagnose, where could I get parts? What voltage should be output to the light?

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

July 23rd, 2020 10:00

Try manually setting the color from the command center.

Then try to make sure no connectors are loose.

July 23rd, 2020 21:00

So, it doesn't actually show in the Alienware Command Center, but it does properly load my graphics card. This issue started happening when I went from my 15 R3 to the m15. However on the 15R3 I had to install the driver for the Alienware Command Center, but on the m15 it seems that the Alienware Command Center can't detect the AGA. I can't confirm from anywhere that the m15 supports it through Alienware Command Center. I also attempted to load the drivers from previous systems and they fail due to the system checks that Dell performs on driver installs.

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

July 24th, 2020 09:00

It's probably a command center error.

1 Message

August 23rd, 2020 05:00

have the same problem with my m15. CC doesn't show AGA. Graphic card works well, tho. Checked the cable and connecters, could also measure +5V supplied to the PCB behind the Alienware head, but no light! It is stated that the Command Center comes with all the necessary drivers but if so, what else could be the problem? Did you switch back to your old Laptop to check if it is related to the m15?

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

August 26th, 2020 15:00

What model do you two have?

id just use the keyboard shortcut on the keyboard as the new command centers don’t have a dedicated section to the graphics amp.

5 Posts

September 7th, 2020 16:00

I called customer support on this subject. After a long wait and several transfers, they said the led indicator light is "no longer supported". I asked if there was any indication of this in any version of the manual, or anywhere on Dell's website, and they said no. I guess it's a secret?
For unrelated reasons, I factory reset my Area 51m R1 to a windows image included on my harddrive. The alienhead indicator, for the first time ever, was lit. It was just a solid blue, and the command center software did not work at all without updating. Of course, the light has been gone ever since I updated the software.

So, it just seems it is disabled via software for whatever reason. Fine. I guess. But at least inform the buyers so they don't waste time troubleshooting it.

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

September 7th, 2020 19:00

What about the graphics amp software?

doesent that control the light?

5 Posts

September 8th, 2020 05:00

The graphics amplifier software isn't compatible with Area 51m, they don't make a version for my laptop. It does seem to be available for the m13-17, it might work for those models. I am unsure if the Dell rep I spoke to meant it was no longer supported for my model, or just not supported at all. 

5 Posts

September 8th, 2020 11:00

It doesn't light up for me. It doesn't seem to light up for anybody. The out-of-date windows image file had it lit, with zero software support. It's dangerous to run with that image with internet turned on and no updates.

I wouldn't describe the light as working or supported in anyway. It has apparently been disabled by Dell. At least on the Area 51m for sure. Looks like the same for m13, m15, and m17 models but can't confirm.

The device is in a major need of redesign. The pcie slot works as advertised, but with the case closed it runs rather hot. With an open case it runs about 30 degrees cooler at full workload, which is absurd. It needs MUCH better cooling and perhaps something closer to modern design language.  

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

September 8th, 2020 11:00

Im thinking it may still be supported but without the original application that was supposed to control it, it’s not able to change colors.

can you agree though?

i mean they haven’t updating the thing since 2014 and that’s 6 years old.

5 Posts

September 8th, 2020 12:00

I'd settle for anything that looks like it was made to go with my laptop!

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

September 8th, 2020 12:00

You mean like the white design of the new ones?

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

September 8th, 2020 13:00

I say give me the black color of the older models rubberized finish and make a white one thats made for the new one.

5 Posts

September 10th, 2020 06:00

So, funny thing... my AGA indicator light suddenly started working, and showing up in the command center software... I have full control of the LED!

There seems to an application called "Graphics Amplifier Notification" that was atuomagically installed. There is now "GraphicsAmplifierServiceController.exe" in the Command Center install folder. . I wonder if that's a coincidence, or if someone from on-high in Dell fixed this because of this thread. Maybe a bit of both. The exe was created on 7/15/20 and installed yesterday. I don't exactly know how it got on my system or how others can install it. I'm assuming Alien Update did it

Maybe I've been stuck in the house too long due to pandemic and fires/smoke, but for some reason this little light is making me absurdly happy, lol

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

September 10th, 2020 11:00

Lol,

im happy for you dude, try doing some custom led effect using the new command center and have fun!

No Events found!