New Alienware 17r5 connection issues

Jump to solution

I am having a very odd problem while connecting to certain websites using the new Alienware 17r5. It is equipped with the Killer G2500 for the wired connection and the Killer 1435 for wireless. When connected via the wire, I get this error when trying to access certain sites: ERR_SSL_BAD_RECORD_MAC_ALERT. It does not matter whether I used Firefox, Chrome or Edge. Same error. However, if I disconnect the wire and just go wireless, it all works fine. What is going on here? How can I resolve this?

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: New Alienware 17r5 connection issues

Jump to solution

Ok, ended up doing a chat with a very knowledgeable Dell tech support agent. They removed the network and bluetooth drivers and the Killer Software Suite. Reinstalled just the drivers without their software and it works great. Apparently that software causes a lot of weird issues. In case anyone else runs into this issue. 

MogRules
Silver

Jump to solution

Glad you got it sorted out. 

The Killer software has been......interesting.....to say the least for quite some time.  

Chances are if you install the newest software from the Killer website it will probably work fine , but whatever version most system ship with causes issues non stop for a lot of people.  Most of the time it is actually the Wireless that goes flaky instead of the wired.  

In almost every case just removing the Killer Software and leaving the driver fixes it. 

Alienware 17R4 | i7 7820HK | GTX1080 | 16GB DDR4 | 120hz G-Sync
0 Kudos
Highlighted
BlendOp
Copper

Jump to solution

I want to thank CelticDiablo for his update, as of October this still seems to be an issue - just reinstalled the driver without their software and my issue is gone.

Cheers!

0 Kudos