Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 29th, 2010 18:00

Atoms Virtual edition - network RAID?

If I want to use Atmos VE on  commodity servers with no special RAID cards, will Atmos VE provide protection against disk/server failures?

-Janakan

222 Posts

September 30th, 2010 07:00

Even without specialized hardware you can take advantage of Atmos object replication and geo protect which can address hardware failure.  This functionality is available in both Atmos VE and the physical hardware that we bundle with Atmos.

As a side note --- Atmos Virtual Edition (VE) is only supported using VMWare on commodity servers. 

19 Posts

September 30th, 2010 08:00

Thanks Bala. Is Geo protect a software that comes with Atmos VE?

222 Posts

September 30th, 2010 10:00

GeoProtect is a feature of Atmos, so yes it is delivered as part of the core Atmos software.  It's also known as erasure coding.  Here's a video that describes it further:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuy-HZh0FJI&feature=player_embedded#!

49 Posts

October 1st, 2010 05:00

We can't share pricing here - let's just say there's a low entry point. As far as usage/billing, Atmos has APIs out of the box to allow aggregation of usage data. Look for further announcements later this year.

19 Posts

October 1st, 2010 05:00

Thank you. Do you know the avg price of VE? Also does EMC provide a multi-tenant platform for management like Mezeo for usage/billing?

19 Posts

October 5th, 2010 06:00

Is there a way I can have more information on this? It would help us to make decisions regarding our cloud storage. I reached out to EMC Sales (2 times through email + 1 phone call in the last 4 days). I haven't heard from any one so far.

No Events found!