Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 27th, 2010 16:00

ATO of Windows 2008 VSS Plugin?

I am fairly new to avamar and am trying to get system state of a windows server 2008 server to tape. Currently backups using the windows file system plugin work great but when staging system state data a bootablesystemstate folder is created on the staging server along with ARS, COM+ Registry and System files but are all 0KB in size.

in the ATO log i get the following:

=====================================================================================================================================
BU-ID    AVAMAR-DOMAIN / CLIENT-NAME                                         DATE        TIME       SIZE       PLUG-IN  COUNT/CLIENT
=====================================================================================================================================
[56]    /Prod/test/                                 2010-08-26   20:17:03    24616288K    Windows       [2] <--rtype,
[60]    /Prod/test/                                 2010-08-26   20:25:00    0K           Undetermined  [2] <--rtype,

The first line item would be the file system data but the second is Windows VSS data.

27-08-10 14:51:38 [MOD-1282942298853][3001] Initiating [MCCLI] Recovery Session: 2 of 3
Staging client->[bes-a101.admin.norquest.ca BU-id-60]->STGSRV[mgt1001.norquest.ca]->FS ->Files[All][]
27-08-10 14:51:41 Staging Completed Status=Completed Progress: 0

Is the VSS plugin not properly supported with ATO?

215 Posts

August 28th, 2010 02:00

Ben001,

Currently ATO is unaware of this backup type but it may be possible to add it.

Can you please run the following two commands and send me the two named check files?

You will need to substitute your actual ATO client group name.

ato -gid -select -buid 60 -d -d -d -d -d -d > /tmp/chk_select.txt 2>&1

ato -gid -tapeout -s -d -d -d -d -d -d > /tmp/chk_tapeout.txt 2>&1

Thank You

215 Posts

August 28th, 2010 08:00

Ben001,

Please ignore my previous update requesting trace files, they're no longer required.

I have to investigate farther the ability to recover VSS backups from the command line. Both the GUI and avtar report their overall BU size but their individual files are all displayed with a 0 byte count. Stay tuned to this space on whether this can be supported or not.

I've modifed ATO behavior to accomodate VSS backups existing on Windows as follows;

1. Removed the VSS BU tyes from the normal selection process when working with FS type backups

2. Added a new selection switch -vss enabling you to filter on these BU types only but they're still unrecoverable using ATO

3. Added support to recognize VSS BU's so they can be properly viewed and reported on

Here's a prelease of ATO 2.1.2 labled test for now.

1 Attachment

215 Posts

August 28th, 2010 15:00

Please ignore my previous upload and use this latest ATO tar file which contains a new option for -exchvss as well.

All VSS plugin backups for System State or Exchange cannot currently be taped out. These new options can be used

for  segregation during the select process and report purposes only.

To upgrade ATO do the following;

1. copy the attached ATO tar file to Utility node /usr/local/avamar/src

2. run command ato -upgrade

1 Attachment

2 Posts

August 30th, 2010 09:00

Thanks for looking into this.

Any idea when this might be supported?

Also i am bit unsure as to how the ASR would be handled? For example we have a windows 2008 server being backed up with the VSS plugin and file system plugin. The file system plugin backups 20GB and the VSS plugin backs up 21GB. If ATO was working correctly with VSS would this mean that 41 GB (20+21) would be staged or is there some other way to do this with still retaining file level restore and disaster recovery from tape.

215 Posts

September 1st, 2010 10:00

Currently Avamar VSS backups cannot be manipulated in any way via command line therefore ATO

cannot support these at this time. Product Management says this is planned for GA Q3 of 2011.

I may be able to get access to it prior to GA to update and test with ATO but no guarantees on that.

ATO 2.1.2 is now released so the test version I gave you here is no longer valid and you should download

the latest version. As stated earlier, this version of ATO has the ability to at least filter on the VSS BU's

so they will not be included now in your FS or Exchange selection. You can filter on these if you want to

confirm their existence and size etc. but you cannot perform a TO of them.

For what its worth, you can manually initiate a GUI based redirected recovery of a VSS Exchange backup

which could be sent to the ATO staging server and subsequently be included in a ATO tape backup.

Hope this helps!

215 Posts

December 22nd, 2012 12:00

Hello,

This is just an informational update to inform the latest version of ATO currently 3.0.6f now supports the following VSS based plug-in's

Exchange 2007 and 2010 VSS

SharePoint VSS

Hyper-V VSS

No Events found!