Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 4th, 2016 07:00

Any concerns attaching (2) separate DD to one Avamar grid?

Currently, I have (2) bi-directional avamar grids (7.1.2) each attached to a DD (5.5.10); I will be moving soon to 7.3; 5.7

Are there any special concerns attaching a new DD to each grid?  Operationally, we will not benefit from 2x replication speeds (avamar controls replication) but are there any special technical considerations with this configuration (upgrades etc)

The reason for attaching a new DD is outside the realm of capacity; it is strictly a chargeback/billing driven decision (that I cannot change short of indicating (2) is not a supported configuration)

Thank you.

-Thomas

2K Posts

November 4th, 2016 13:00

I don't know what the maximum number of concurrent DD systems that can be configured with a single Avamar Server, but I have seen systems with up to 4 DDs registered.

I'm not sure there is an enforced limit on the number of attached DD systems but anything more than four is probably asking for trouble. If any one Data Domain system is having issues, it can affect maintenance for the whole solution.

133 Posts

November 4th, 2016 11:00

No Problem, as long as the DDOS versions systems are both compatible with the Avamar Server.
Avamar Best practices say that the DDOS versions should be in the same DDOS family (first two digits of the DDOS Version)

Better yet, at the same exact version if possible.

I don't know what the maximum number of concurrent DD systems that can be configured with a single Avamar Server, but I have seen systems with up to 4 DDs registered. But when you have more than two, the Avamar Server cannot deal with more than two different DDOS families at one time.

No Events found!